TPTV Films Page 3

I seem to have had a bad evening with TPTV, what with the Scotland Yard one, the Glimpses doc. and this main film "The Missing Million" (1942)

Got bogged down with convoluted plot and most of the cast being murdered, with the criminal mastermind "The Panda" seeming to appear ad hoc the end of the film. Edgar Wallace story too, which are normally very good - perhaps the producer cocked it up.

Even Valentine Dyall was disappointing, but it had its merit with one of the leading (Well hello Lovey ) ladies being Linden Travers, who I'd never seen or heard of before.

Of course, they are not all little gems of the cinema on TPTV - I managed to stand about 10 seconds of the promo advertising a jaunty, jolly Tommy Steele singing and dancing his way along a path in "The Duke Wore Jeans" musical (1958), before my hackles started to rise.

"A Cockney lad who pretends to be a Lord in order to woo a South American princess."

Really? Can it get any more exciting than that. :|

You have to credit the man for remaining insanely jovial is entire life.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 21st August 2019, 2:39 PM

You have to credit the man for remaining insanely jovial his entire life.

Yes, but from what I have read about him, like the laid back smiley Bing Crosby and Val Doonican et al, he was a foul mouthed bastard who was hell to work for/with.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 21st August 2019, 2:39 PM

You have to credit the man for remaining insanely jovial is entire life.

He hasn't had it yet!

Is that the title of one of his songs? or are you just being pedantic?

Part two was the norm for Mr C Pleased

I had that Missing i Millions on in the background as I was working and my sense of it was that they were making it up as they went, at one point I was expecting Brian Rix ( minus the trousers and with the vicar of course).

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 21st August 2019, 10:01 PM

Is that the title of one of his songs? or are you just being pedantic?

I realise that supporting Everton is no laughing matter.

"Bond Street" (1948)

Four stories linked to a wedding dress, but I thought they could have given it a twist at the end. There were vague links with some actors appearing as "extras" in the other four, but otherwise a bit disappointing.

Seeing a young Kathleen Harrison, Ian Carmichael (film debut according to the IMDb), Joan Hickson, Kenneth Griffith et al was the most interesting thing in them - oh, and Roland Young who I like very much ("The Man Who Could Work Miracles") and Miles Malleson (again!) as Minor Role (uncredited), although I presume he was cut for TPTV as I didn't spot him, which I usually do.

Gayle Hunnicutt I believe.

Quote: Chappers @ 23rd August 2019, 10:14 PM

Gayle Hunnicutt I believe.

:S And,........................or did you have an urge to start a list of honest people?

"Cage of Gold" (1950)

Had seen it before many years ago, but my wife couldn't remember it, so watched it again and enjoyed this blackmail with a twist.

Most noteworthy was the star Jean Simmons, and again star spotting with Campbell Singer (policeman credit and on screen for all of about 2 seconds [!] with no lines), Arthur Howard (Whacko!), Sam Kydd - all uncredited, AND, there he is again (!) Arthur Lowe as "Short Man", although again, I didn't spot him

"Hindle Wakes" (1952)

Again, annoyingly called "Holiday Week" by the Yanks, I had seen this before but couldn't remember the end.

Good story, most enjoyable and I see had been made into a film three or four times, so must be summat in it.

Very pretty lady Lisa Daniely in the lead part I hadn't seen before and I see she had a flourishing TV career.

First film for Rita Webb apparently playing against type as well-spoken landlady and ALSO a leading part for Punch and Judy man Mr Partridge (Leslie Dwyer) - see him in many films, but I think this was his only major part, and very good he was too.

As some of you know, I love watching these early British films for the (then) pristine cars, but the sports job stumped me in this film. It looked like a cross between a Chrysler Airflow and a Morgan; BUT after a minute or two of selective Googling I managed to identify it as an Allard - well I never!

Never seen one of them before.Not surprising really,if you had a car in our street it would have probably been an Austin 7.
I can imagine Paul Temple swanning around in one though.