I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,076

Just remember chaps, you can't win an argument with facts ,so it's not worth getting all steamed up about anything.

Quote: john tregorran @ 22nd August 2019, 9:42 PM

Just remember chaps, you can't win an argument with facts ,so it's not worth getting all steamed up about anything.

:D :P

Quote: billwill @ 22nd August 2019, 8:05 PM

So did Chamberlain, methinx.

But that woolly document didn't include having half of Poland each after Hitler's invaded it.

Well this has got a bit lively since I was last here having a life.

Come on then and tell us the benefits of being part of the EU.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 21st August 2019, 8:12 PM

Why call people Remoaners?
How many nationalities fought alongside us in WWII?
Who is the dictator?
What laws are you referring to?
Who is saying anything about money?
What evidence do to have that the actions of economic migrants are being bankrolled by other countries?

I call them Remoaners because they refuse to accept a Democratic decision.

Jean-Claude Juncker is practically a dictator. Who voted for him to be President of the European Commission? I don't remember seeing an opportunity to vote on it.

Who said anything about economic migrants being bankrolled? They just shift them through when they are supposed to offer them asylum in the first EU country they arrive in.

Money? It's all about money.

The EU force us to abide by laws passed in Brussels when loads of other countries just ignore them.

Quote: Chappers @ 22nd August 2019, 11:10 PM

I call them Remoaners because they refuse to accept a Democratic decision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c_ldUsslOA

Quote: Chappers @ 22nd August 2019, 11:10 PM

Jean-Claude Juncker is practically a dictator. Who voted for him to be President of the European Commission? I don't remember seeing an opportunity to vote on it.

Stop with the silly hyperbole, mon! He's not practically a dictator or a dictator, or even close to being a dictator. Mussolini, Hitler, Sauron, Ming the Merciless, Chancellor Palpatine are dictators. He was elected by the the European Parliament, And everybody had the chance to vote in European Elections so everybody theoretically had the chance to vote for him or not vote for him.

It's fine to want Brexit, but make it for real reasons and not pie in the sky fantasy.

Chip don't waste your time, there are some Leave voters on here who have given it thought and have legitimate reasons for wanting us to leave which I can relate to and respect after all Europe is far from perfect..
Sadly Chappers is into the jingoism and hyperbole aspect of the caper as it suits his angst.
So given that his reasoning has gone out the window all he relies on is thinly veiled insults to open with and his content is straight out of the Daily Mail comments section.
Basically he has had his mind made up for him.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 23rd August 2019, 7:04 AM

straight out of the Daily Mail comments section.

There's that obsession with the Daily Mail again.

If you use the search facility on these forums you will see how often posters who wish to put across a particular political point lazily use this analogy in the belief that it somehow justifies their argument and, moreover, do so without any of the evidence or citations that they eagerly demand of others.

Of course it will disappoint many to learn that, in the issue immediately prior to the referendum, the Mail on Sunday editorial actually recommended voting "remain".

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 23rd August 2019, 9:11 AM

There's that obsession with the Daily Mail again.

It's just shorthand for a particular way of thinking, in the same way Guardian reader is shorthand for another way of thinking. Although weirdly you do seem to have just as much of an obsession with our obsession with the Daily Mail.

[quote name="Billy Bunter" post="1208810" date="23rd August 2019, 9:11 AM"]There's that obsession with the Daily Mail again.

William I hardly think that mentioning the Daily Mail once in 9 posts is 'Obsessive'

You added
'Of course it will disappoint many to learn that, in the issue immediately prior to the referendum, the Mail on Sunday editorial actually recommended voting "remain"

William the only thing that disappoints me is that you don't understand that the 'DAILY' Mail and the Mail on'SUNDAY' are two separate editorial teams and that's why I said Daily Mail and not Sunday Mail.
It's a bit like mistaking the Beano for the Dandy which is easily done if you're in a rush.

Chappers doesn't remember having an opportunity to vote for Juncker - did he have an opportunity to vote for Johnson as PM? According to his logic, that makes Johnson practically a dictator, too.

Of course, logic isn't the Brexiteers' strong point.

In fairness Beaky I know a few sharp Brexiteers and I can understand their views as Europe is not perfect in many many ways. Sadly Chappers is a product of the sound bite Jingoist side of the caper as such he has a tendency to recite crap verbatim.
The Daily Mail is used to sum up the type of person who was already angry before they got their paper and have no intention of calming down.
The fact that the paper supported Mr Hitler never comes up , which if you ask me is slightly odd given their desire to highlight Anti Semitism when it comes to Corbyn and yet refer to Jewish radical parents when it came to Milliband?

As you are all discussing the merits or not of newspapers, I thought I would post this that I remember from yonks ago............................

THE TIMES :-
Read by the people who run the country

DAILY MIRROR :-
Read by the people who think they run the country

GUARDIAN :-
Read by the people who think they ought to run the country

MORNING STAR :-
Read by the people who think the country ought to be run by another country

DAILY MAIL :-
Read by the wives of the people who run the country

FINANCIAL TIMES :-
Read by the people who own the country

DAILY EXPRESS :-
Read by people who think the country ought to be run as it used to be

DAILY TELEGRAPH :-
Read by the people who think it still is

DAILY STAR :-
Read by people who think the country is run by Martians

THE SUN :-
Read by people who don't care who runs the country, providing she's got big tits.

Yes thank you Bernard.

Quote: john tregorran @ 21st August 2019, 7:40 AM

Apparently it's all due to "motivated reasoning" that's why you can't win an argument using facts. https://curiosity.com/topics/motivated-reasoning-is-why-you-cant-win-an-argument-using-facts-curiosity/

Thanks for this John, it's very interesting, it argues using facts, that facts don't win arguments.

Now that Boris is working hard on blaming a no deal Brexit on rebel MPs and the EU, is that an example of him shoring up his own beliefs or an admittance he believes it will be too damaging for him to take the blame ?