Edinburgh Fringe Top Jokes 2018 Page 2

Quote: Glen Maney @ 23rd August 2018, 12:55 PM

As for the critique of gags,it's so subjective I don't see the point.One comedian's death is another's gold, depending on the delivery and the crowd.

I think the point is that this is a comedy forum and members like to express their opinions on comedy.

The jokes are being judged as they stand "on paper" rather than as performed by an actual comedian in front of an actual audience, and that's a perfectly valid way to judge a joke. Not the only way, of course, but a perfectly valid way. It's true that even a period of total silence and total inaction can be hilarious in the right context but I wouldn't recommend anybody trying to win a joke-writing competition by submitting a blank piece of paper with an attached note saying "You have to see it in context."

In commenting on these jokes, we're not deciding the future of any of the comedians involved. We're simply expressing opinions among ourselves. Nothing more, nothing less.

Did these car crash jokes get chosen by a panel? If so, they deserve be beaten.

You have have that one for nothing...

Seriously though, I like the vegan one and the repossessed one, though I saw a version of that on twitter ages ago.

Are these actually the officially best of Edinburgh jokes?

Weak show... that 'boring' one is really unoriginal. I see a version of that about once a week.

It's that time of year again... https://www.comedy.co.uk/live/news/5450/dave_funniest_jokes_2019/ I came up with number 8 10 years ago (independently, of course), and 5 is total Steven Wright (though that may be a coincidence). The trouble with these things is that you lose the momentum of a stand-up routine and it degenerates into 'best one-liner'.

I think my favourite one was about jokes about White Sugar being rare but jokes about Brown Sugar? Demerara!

Quote: Chappers @ 21st August 2019, 6:15 PM

I think my favourite one was about jokes about White Sugar being rare but jokes about Brown Sugar? Demerara! ?

When somebody read out of the newspaper the winner, I didn't get it as I had in my head a bag of Florette salad.
So, not impressed; but thought these three had merit :-

"A cowboy asked me if I could help him round up 18 cows. I said, 'Yes, of course. - That's 20 cows'" - Jake Lambert

"After learning six hours of basic semaphore, I was flagging - Richard Pulsford

"To be or not to be a horse rider, that is Equestrian" - Mark Simmons