I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,073

So the Greene King brewery in Bury St Edmund (with 2,700 pubs, restaurants and hotels in total across the UK, apparently) maybe bought out by a Hong Kong property investment bank, who have said there will be no job losses AND no asset stripping.
Really?

The French own our electricity, the Dutch our trains, India our steel etc. etc., what happened? Why don't we just throw all our industrial keys into a bowl and say "'Ere, 'elp yerself"

Quote: Chappers @ 20th August 2019, 11:01 PM

Those scare stories are just bollocks propoganda stirred up by whinging Remoaners.

The sad thing is that many of them would love to see something like that happen, just so they could feel vindicated and say, "I told you so!"

I've seen prominent and ordinary Americans wishing for a horrible recession and virtual collapse of the nation for the same selfish reasons re: Trump. I wasn't a fan of President Obama, but I never wished that the country would fall apart under him.

Classic Freudian psychological projection.

Chappers Wrote

Those scare stories are just bollocks propoganda stirred up by whinging Remoaners.

We fought a war in 1939 to get rid of a European Dictator. Why should we put up with one now?

Why should we be told what to do with our money?

Why can't we make our own laws?

Why should we take refugees that the Europeans shift through the mainland as quick as possible for us to support?

Chappers I don't know which is worse your grasp of history ? Or your all round lack of understanding of current events.

Apparently it's all due to "motivated reasoning"
that's why you can't win an argument using facts.

https://curiosity.com/topics/motivated-reasoning-is-why-you-cant-win-an-argument-using-facts-curiosity/

I suspect that if the referendum voting card said Are you an optimist or Are you pessimist, the result would have been about the same.
Pessimists lose so spend their every waking hour predicting doom.

Ste I respect everyone's right to vote how they want for what they want, without that we're all f**ked. I can even see why people want out I really can.

The problem is the degree of separation that people want?

The only way that can be done is to reach a consensus and the only way to get one is to discuss the issue.

Sadly all that has been taken from us by a few oligarchs and barons who have used their media power to boil it down to a basic argument, when it's far far from it. If ten vote leavers outlined their notion of whats needed half of them would be arguing with the other.

What we were sold was an Idea when what we really needed was a plan,

The issue is complex and that's the nub. Its not a simple Yes /No and when terms like Remoaner or Brexitard are used its clear the writer has chosen a camp rather than someone who is open to debate.

This is our country, its complex its weird but its ours and more importantly our children's and theirs. We need to sort this out like adults .

We are at an impasse, but it's being whipped up into a crisis by the media and people exploiting Social Media for their own agendas .
So while I couldn't even begin to suggest how we even open that debate I would suggest that not calling each other Remoaner or Brexitard etc would be a great first step.

We can't sort this out by second hand sound bites and slogans, it's going to take people who are ready to debate and arrive at something, rather than put up with the division and uncertainty that has literally blighted this country in both its infrastructure and social fibre.

The whole thing is almost Gulliver Like and we are the island in a permanent state of arguing among each other to the detriment of everything else .

Lord Attenborough comes out as a Brexiteer, without actually admitting to being one. He slags off the EU for meddling too much in our affairs. I expect Caroline Lucas is dumping all her Blue Planet DVDs in the recycling bin now in disgust. Needs a few more so called heavyweights we thought were wet liberals to come out against the EU mafia but they'll never get it until we're gone.

Thank god that's sorted then. I'll get back to my knitting.

Meanwhile, it's all shock-horror at the BBC today following complaints by some viewers about Gary Lineker saying that the recent start to the current football season involved hair raising stuff at times - but then added "unless you're Alan Shearer and Danny Murphy" (his fellow pundits on the show).

The outraged complainants are shocked and horrified that Gary should make light of his colleagues' challenges in the follicle department - and on national TV no less, and on the BBC even less less!

I ask you - the things some people get upset about!

You couldn't make it up!

And I haven't!

It's absolutely true! Laughing out loud

Still with Gary Lineker, on his podcast next week he's joined by none other than . . . wait for it . . . wait for it . . . Danny Baker!

I hope Danny doesn't score another own goal!

Do you see what I did there? Laughing out loud

VAR did and they ruled against it, do you see what they didn't do there?

I heard someone on the radio this afternoon complaining about councils making children live in shipping containers.

It certainly sounds an absolutely dreadful arrangement but, having seen a picture of these converted containers - with doors, windows and various other accoutrements - I have to say I've seen a great many "real" houses in Britain that offered less attractive accommodation.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 21st August 2019, 7:45 AM

I suspect that if the referendum voting card said Are you an optimist or Are you pessimist, the result would have been about the same.
Pessimists lose so spend their every waking hour predicting doom.

Laughing out loud Are Brexiteers purer of heart and nobler of spirit too? In sharp contrast to those evil remoaners.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 21st August 2019, 6:04 AM

Classic Freudian psychological projection.

Chappers Wrote

We fought a war in 1939 to get rid of a European Dictator. Why should we put up with one now?

Why should we be told what to do with our money?

Why can't we make our own laws?

Why should we take refugees that the Europeans shift through the mainland as quick as possible for us to support?

Chappers I don't know which is worse your grasp of history ? Or your all round lack of understanding of current events.

And your point is??????????????

Why call people Remoaners?
How many nationalities fought alongside us in WWII?
Who is the dictator?
What laws are you referring to?
Who is saying anything about money?
What evidence do to have that the actions of economic migrants are being bankrolled by other countries?