Woodstock

BBC 4 this Friday at 10 pm documentary on Woodstock - "Woodstock - Three Days that Defined a Generation" and I don't think it is a repeat; BUT..........................

...............following that at 11.25 pm for an hour is Jimi Hendrix at that festival "Jimi Hendrix: The Road to Woodstock", and if you've never seen it then I urge you to and see one of the greatest guitarists that ever lived. OK, he was totally stoned out his mind, but man could he make that Stratocaster talk - he was telling you what was going thru' his head at that moment through his playing of the half hour medley of Star Spangled Banner, Voodoo Child and Purple Haze.

FABULOUS!

Just me then. :D In the meantime................................

Why didn't Bob Dylan appear at Woodstock when he virtually lived next door to the concert site?

Well, somewhat ironically, he objected to it being held there and, presumably pissed off, readily accepted an invitation from three young and green/naive entrepreneurs to appear at the Isle of Wight festival instead................MUCH to their surprise.

This I gleaned from Sky and CNN news who are doing a sort of "where are they now" this Sunday on the people involved in Woodstock 50 years ago.

We are stardust, we are golden.

I loved the film, The Who were brilliant.

Watching the documentary now although I probably won't stay up for the Hendrix concert.

Quote: Chappers @ 16th August 2019, 11:19 PM

................. although I probably won't stay up for the Hendrix concert.

Heathen.

I can never get over the lack of respect he paid to Snoopy

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 16th August 2019, 11:28 PM

Heathen.

I didn't say I wouldn't watch it. It's on Catch-up.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 17th August 2019, 4:02 AM

I can never get over the lack of respect he paid to Snoopy

Me or Jimi?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 15th August 2019, 3:34 PM

This I gleaned from Sky and CNN news who are doing a sort of "where are they now" this Sunday on the people involved in Woodstock 50 years ago.

Very interesting, especially as they found a number of people who were directly involved, such as one of the organisers, band members who appeared and the young couple that appeared on the front cover of the triple vinyl album that was issued at the time. You can buy the album now for £40, CoolWhistling nnocently and the couple have been married for 46 years.

On a lighter note, it was interesting to hear how bitter Graham Nash was against David Crosby, who he hadn't spoken to for a number of years and was very unlikely to ever do so.

The one song that sums up Woodstock for me was written and performed by people who weren't actually there.Joni Mitchell and Matthews Southern Comfort.

Quote: john tregorran @ 19th August 2019, 2:50 AM

The one song that sums up Woodstock for me was written and performed by people who weren't actually there.Joni Mitchell and Matthews Southern Comfort.

Beautiful song, beautifully written and performed.

Beautiful times and beautiful people.

Where did we all go wrong? :(

Joni may have visited.

The wiki page about the festival is an interesting read especially the section about all the bands that didn't perform for varying reasons.

You should watch the BBC4 documentary. It tells more about the "planning", organisation, problems and after math.

Quote: Chappers @ 19th August 2019, 10:52 PM

You should watch the BBC4 documentary. It tells more about the "planning", organisation, problems and after math.

Yes, that was fascinating and can think the only people who made any money were the bands, who would have been paid no matter what. The logistics were an absolute nightmare when it turned into a free concert on the first day as late comers trampled down the feeble fencing and their numbers made it nigh impossible (parking) for ticket holders to get onto the site who came late, thinking they could just present themselves and see the concert. What was it - 150,000 expected max. and they had to cater for half a million!!

Given the state of the organising and the near hurricane storm on day 3 it was a wonder there wasn't a riot, which would have happened if this was now.........................but it was the height of peace and love, man! Cool