This Way Up

Well - two really beautiful funny Irish women. What more could you ask for.

I've only seen part 1 although I understand it's available to binge watch. Very funny and also very touching. I was though wondering if it was going to touch on Mind Your Language.

It's always good to see Aisling Bea: for my money, she's probably the funniest and most naturally talented woman comedian on British TV - which is a bit ironic when one considers that she isn't even British.

It was also good to see Ricky Grover: I haven't seen him for donkeys' years. He's a good actor and he's also very knowledgeable about comedy, particularly stand-up.

In terms of diversity, This Way Up is certainly doing its bit - and not just by having Aisling play the part of a teacher of English as a foreign language. Overall, the cast is just about as ethnically diverse as a cast can be.

And a jolly good thing it is too!

Quote: Chappers @ 9th August 2019, 8:39 PM

Well - two really beautiful funny Irish women. What more could you ask for.

I've only seen part 1 although I understand it's available to binge watch. Very funny and also very touching. I was though wondering if it was going to touch on Mind Your Language.

It shares one cast member! But that's about as far as the similarities go.

Quote: Aaron @ 10th August 2019, 11:09 PM

It shares one cast member! But that's about as far as the similarities go.

Who would that be?

Pik Sen Lim.

Quote: Aaron @ 11th August 2019, 8:48 PM

Pik Sen Lim.

I really wasn't expecting anyone to be involved in both. Mind Your Language has obviously become regarded as completely un-PC.

How is this not a sitcom?

Channel 4 and/or the production company have decided to bill it as a comedy drama.

Quote: Aaron @ 16th August 2019, 2:00 AM

Channel 4 and/or the production company have decided to bill it as a comedy drama.

Yes - I get that.

Comedy drama is the new sitcom.

This Way Up was made under the working title "Happy AF" and was, in fact, originally announced under that title but, for some reason, the title has been changed.

I absolutely love the original title and, although the great British public were never (as far as I know) told what AF means in the context of that title, I can tell you it's not "autofocus".

It's exactly the sort of title I'd expect from Aisling Bea - brilliantly appropriate for this series!

She should never have changed it. Laughing out loud

Yes - I get that.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 17th August 2019, 5:31 PM

This Way Up was made under the working title "Happy AF" and was, in fact, originally announced under that title but, for some reason, the title has been changed.

The title change was, in fact, announced as production began.

I love Aisling!

Quote: Chappers @ 22nd August 2019, 10:18 PM

I love Aisling!

It's people like her that give immigration a good name! Laughing out loud