TPTV Films Page 2

Checking with IMDB she seemed to have had plenty of work.

Ah yes, not disputing that, it's just the fame that never came to these people and yet they seemed to make a reasonable living from playing bit parts. There was a chap I checked out sometime ago who virtually had no parts he was ever credited for, yet he had a huge list of those unsung bit parts.

Managed to watch two films tonight :-

"My Brother's Keeper" with Jack Warner unusually playing a vicious thug and a very young George Cole + numerous (!!) uncredited actors, including the tiny Edie Martin.

And

"Portrait of Alison" which was a good murder/thriller with a number of well-known (this time) actors, including again " Captain Peacock" as a Police Photographer VERY briefly with again a VERY brief line to say, and "Albert Tatlock" from Coronation Street - the Black & White Years.
Some good twists in this one.

I find the work history of well known TV faces very interesting.Thanks to IMDB we can discover Jack Howarth aka Albert Tatlock amongst other stuff, was Maggs the gardener on Mrs Dale's Diary for 14 years.
And I see that "Portrait of Allison" was written by Francis Durbridge,he was famous for his "thrillers" on the wireless in the olden days.

Ha! I never knew that about Jack Howarth - not really my thing (too young [I should be so lucky], and I think it was primarily aimed at women?) The only thing I remember about that is wasn't Mrs Dale's husband called Jim? Oh what a giveaway!

Ah yes, Francis Durbridge, and it is a good thriller with a couple of nice twists.

Yes, the IMDb an absolute boon, BUT the one thing it annoys me with, is a lot of these early British films are listed under their American titles GRRR which makes it not so easy to find, YET ironically the IMDb was started apparently by two English men.

The one thing I remember about Mrs Dale's Diary is that I used to catch the tail end each day at 4.30 when I got home from school and switched the wireless on for the latest racing results, which were broadcast then at the end of the news bulletin. Many a shilling each way depended on those few minutes.

It was replaced by Waggoners Walk as I recall, which I remember for the same reason.

Laughing out loud Love it! Running a book at school!! And I admire your early entrepreneurial skills.

Yarooh! Lord Sugar of the Remove.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 13th August 2019, 11:53 PM

"Portrait of Alison" which was a good murder/thriller with a number of well-known (this time) actors, including again " Captain Peacock" as a Police Photographer VERY briefly with again a VERY brief line to say, and "Albert Tatlock" from Coronation Street - the Black & White Years.
Some good twists in this one.

It's amazing what you can glean from the IMDb - showing the vast differences in two people's careers.

Take the two leading ladies in "Portrait of Alison" that I have just looked up :-

Terry Moore has worked virtually non stop for 80 years!!!!! And at the age of 90 (!) is presently appearing in three different films being worked on now.

Whereas Josephine Griffin (who died in 2005) did no work at all after this film until a bit part in "short" that was not released until 2010.

"Not a lot of people know that"

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 14th August 2019, 8:23 AM

The one thing I remember about Mrs Dale's Diary is that I used to catch the tail end each day at 4.30 when I got home from school.

And Jim always called his mother-in-law Mother-in-law.

Managed to watch two films again last night, made 10 years apart :-

"The Man Upstairs" 1958

Richard Attenborough is the man in question, in this stark, gritty thriller. Quite enjoyable.

And

"Daybreak" 1948

Eric Portman in the lead with Ann Todd who was considered an absolute beauty in this post war period, but does nothing for me. Good story though.

What I do notice with these films though is how dark, dismal and dirty everywhere seems to look.

Don't worry after Brexit it will be like that again.:)

Quote: john tregorran @ 15th August 2019, 9:12 PM

No! It will be all joy and celebration!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 15th August 2019, 4:22 PM

Managed to watch two films again last night, made 10 years apart :-

"The Man Upstairs" 1958

Richard Attenborough is the man in question, in this stark, gritty thriller. Quite enjoyable.

And

"Daybreak" 1948

Eric Portman in the lead with Ann Todd who was considered an absolute beauty in this post war period, but does nothing for me. Good story though.

What I do notice with these films though is how dark, dismal and dirty everywhere seems to look.

I much prefer those old films. All the tension, violence, horror etc is all implied. Clever production and direction. There is too much unnecessary violence in current films.

Only one on the digi-box, which I watched tonight - "Waterfront" or as the Yanks retitled it "Waterfront Women" on the IMDb (Grrrrr Angry), which was I suppose primarily about women being left in the lurch by drunken merchant seamen.

What made me smile though was that it was supposed to be set slap-bang in the Merseyside dock area of Liverpool yet there was not one person with a Scouse accent. You had Robert Newton bravely trying to suppress his West Country accent, Kathleen Harrison her cockney one and a very young looking Richard Burton (actually 25) his Welsh one and everyone else doing a mock Mancunian.

Good story though and I could see this being a tear jerker at the cinema. Kathleen Harrison excellent as the mother and Robert Newton as the errant father, an awesome talent.

Quote: Chappers @ 15th August 2019, 9:28 PM

No! It will be all joy and celebration!

I much prefer those old films. All the tension, violence, horror etc is all implied. Clever production and direction. There is too much unnecessary violence in current films.

Yes.And the writing has to be more subtle too.There's not much to think about it modern films,it's all shoved in your face.
signed.Grumpyoldgit.

Quote: john tregorran @ 15th August 2019, 9:12 PM

I hope so.

Even better it might be like Citizen James. Imagine the thrill of going to the Tescos to barter a tip on an illegal greyhound race for a salt beef sandwich and a gherkin, rather than mucking about with these so-called 'loyalty coupons' that we have now, thanks to the international globalist conspiracy.

There will probably be greyhound sandwiches then too.