The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 699

Was the VAR female?

I don't know Herc but she (the referee) did make a mistake at the death and it was not actioned on.
There are now strict new rules about penalty taking.
The goalie cannot move before the kick is taken and they can't wave their arms around or try to influence or put off the taker.
They also have to stay on the goal line.
It was a penalty shoot-out and the last one decided it for LIverpool.
The goalie was waving his arm, coming off the line to intimidate the taker and came forward to save the ball - which he did.
And Liverpool won.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 15th August 2019, 9:43 AM

I don't know Herc but she (the referee) did make a mistake at the death and it was not actioned on.
There are now strict new rules about penalty taking.
The goalie cannot move before the kick is taken and they can't wave their arms around or try to influence or put off the taker.
They also have to stay on the goal line.
It was a penalty shoot-out and the last one decided it for LIverpool.
The goalie was waving his arm, coming off the line to intimidate the taker and came forward to save the ball - which he did.
And Liverpool won.

Wimmin' eh? Bless 'em.

Shouldn't VAR have picked that up? As it did in the Man City game at the weekend when Aguero's penalty miss was directed to be re-taken.

This is the last penalty.. and he moved even further out to save it.
The FA have made a big point of the strict new rules and of course VAR.

It was a long night with extra time then pens and probably everyone just wanted it to end but as you said - the ref should have blown for a re-take.

She's stood right there! And yes she is a tiny thing, the camera is not distorting her size

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 15th August 2019, 11:05 AM

It was a long night with extra time then pens and probably everyone just wanted it to end

And there's your answer - nothing to do with "sport". (perhaps she was on a promise) Whistling nnocently

Been a strong supporter of VAR for goal line technology, but it seems to be creating its own problems. OK, I know the rule on handball has been amended to include accidental, which is ridiculous; but that Jesus goal should have stood. There was no way Laporte stuck his arm out to guide the ball - if anything he was trying to get his arm out of the way. Because he knew the consequences?

And it's taken away that exhilarating moment when you jump up as your team scores. Now you have to wait 5 minutes before you can be sure. Rather done away with the spontaneity. There's really no point in having it if the outcome is going to be just as controversial as it would have been without it. They should just use it for matters of fact - ball over the line (which they can do instantly with the referees' wrist gadgets) and offsides. (which would take no longer than in the old days when the referee used to go over to speak with his linesman).

The Football League gave AFC Wimbledon an edict that must use the correct full name of MK Dons on the scoreboard & in the programme for last week's League Cup tie (previously they had just referred to them as just "MK" or as "the away side", objecting to MK's theft of the suffix "Dons").

"Unfortunately" the scoreboard was broken for last Tuesday's game and so couldn't be used. And AFC Wimbledon opted not to publish a programme for the match...

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 18th August 2019, 10:25 AM

Been a strong supporter of VAR for goal line technology, but it seems to be creating its own problems. OK, I know the rule on handball has been amended to include accidental, which is ridiculous; but that Jesus goal should have stood. There was no way Laporte stuck his arm out to guide the ball - if anything he was trying to get his arm out of the way. Because he knew the consequences?

I can't see how City didn't get a penalty because the player was obviously held.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 18th August 2019, 7:38 PM

The Football League gave AFC Wimbledon an edict that must use the correct full name of MK Dons on the scoreboard & in the programme for last week's League Cup tie (previously they had just referred to them as just "MK" or as "the away side", objecting to MK's theft of the suffix "Dons").

"Unfortunately" the scoreboard was broken for last Tuesday's game and so couldn't be used. And AFC Wimbledon opted not to publish a programme for the match...

Angelic

Gary Lineker: Kenneth Woolstenholme introduced Match of the Day 55 weeks ago this week.

I think maybe he meant 55 years.

After the Lord Mayors show comes the shit cart.

A quaint old saying that needs no explanation.

This is Huddersfield Town. Premiership for 2 seasons and now can't buy a win.
I saw the team on the first match of the season and most were blowing hard after 10 minutes.
3 - 4 matches in and the temp manager has said publicly that the team is not match fit.
Pro footballers taking home thousands of pounds a week in wages not match fit.???

Umm, not good given the demise today of Bury FC and I can't help thinking that Nat Lofthouse must now be turning in his grave - Ipswich beat them playing virtually their youth team 5 - 0, speaking of which...........

On a more local note "my team" or was (Ipswich) now in the "Third Division" and looking back at the glory days of the 70s and Bobby Robson.
Also, on the local news last night, it was reported that they had reached their target already to have a bronze statue erected to Kevin Beattie, which will stand next to the one of "his Dad" Bobby. The draft drawing of it looks like it's going to be a brilliant one too!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 28th August 2019, 9:29 AM

Umm, not good given the demise today of Bury FC and I can't help thinking that Nat Lofthouse must now be turning in his grave - Ipswich beat them playing virtually their youth team 5 - 0, speaking of which...........

And Bolton too I presume you mean!

Quote: Chappers @ 28th August 2019, 10:27 AM

And Bolton too I presume you mean!

Er yes................... I know "we" are persona non grata you might say these days, BUT it was only this weekend just gone!