The most underrated comedy of all time? Page 23

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 11th August 2019, 10:16 AM

I just found most of them incredibly forced, unfocussed and formulaic. It surprises me that people have warmed to it. Maybe Bottom has desensitised us.

A pedant writes:

And yet I put it to you that a mere 12 years 3 months and 23 days* ago you posted the following:

"Hate me, sit on me, kill me... ButI like 'Filthy, Rich and Catflap'! Everyone hated it but it stands up pretty well, oo-er."

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/post/15552/

I wonder what has precipitated this sudden overnight reversal of opinion?

Perhaps 'they' have got to you...

* ...bear with me ... that's 4497 days, or if you prefer ............... 6,475,680 minutes.

Quote: Text Lexus @ 13th August 2019, 9:34 PM

A pedant writes:

And yet I put it to you that a mere 12 years 3 months and 23 days* ago you posted the following:

"Hate me, sit on me, kill me... ButI like 'Filthy, Rich and Catflap'! Everyone hated it but it stands up pretty well, oo-er."

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/post/15552/

Laughing out loud Well spotted! I think someone's trousers are around their ankles......................

I wouldn't go that far!

Peoples' tastes change - I used to like Red Dwarf, but this is no longer the case.

Red Dwarf went on too long.

"All Gas and Gaiters" I wouldn't say is underrated but it never seems to be mentioned in favourite lists.
It had a tremendous cast and quite a few funny moments.
It included Joan Sanderson and John Barron /Ernest Clark as the formidable Dean and Mrs Pugh-Critchley
"She could be a friend for you ,my dear,I know you've always wanted one.".

Quote: john tregorran @ 14th August 2019, 1:50 AM

"All Gas and Gaiters" I wouldn't say is underrated but it never seems to be mentioned in favourite lists.
It had a tremendous cast and quite a few funny moments.
It included Joan Sanderson and John Barron /Ernest Clark as the formidable Dean and Mrs Pugh-Critchley
"She could be a friend for you ,my dear,I know you've always wanted one.".

Yes, and I've always had a soft spot for Robertson Hare. In a similar vein/Derek Nimmo "Oh Father".

Text Lexus, you just answered your own question:

Quote: Text Lexus @ 13th August 2019, 9:34 PM

12 years 3 months and 23 days* ago... this sudden overnight reversal

I said that I enjoy it, or at least some of it; I didn't say it is a high-quality piece of work. I wrote about this in an article for this very site but it's sadly disappeared. In the same way, I love the Spice Girls and Pink Floyd bore me shitless.
Incidentally, Baby is my favourite Spice Girl, after Mel C, Geri, Mel B and sometimes Victoria.

No I didn't. Sometimes I said other things.
Shout-out for Nathan Barley. A slab of massively under-rated, sadly ignored comedy genius.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 14th August 2019, 9:29 AM

Text Lexus, you just answered your own question:

I said that I enjoy it, or at least some of it; I didn't say it is a high-quality piece of work. I wrote about this in an article for this very site but it's sadly disappeared. In the same way, I love the Spice Girls and Pink Floyd bore me shitless.
Incidentally, Baby is my favourite Spice Girl, after Mel C, Geri, Mel B and sometimes Victoria.

You'll note my deliberately undermining myself for comic effect (12 years - 'overnight' change of mind...). Clearly there is no point arguing about whether Bottom is objectively 'better' than Catflap. We're just here to have a laugh ... as well as unravelling the secrets behind the fundamental nature of comedy, of course!

But I must agree with Herc G-T that you have championed your beloved Mel C endlessly. Admittedly she is jolly pretty and perky, but we all know that Emma could play guitar better than Hendrix but simply chooses not to, as befits her natural modesty and womanly dignity.

Must agree re. Nathan Barley - I didn't 'like' it as there were no likeable characters - but it was quite brilliant.

Quote: Text Lexus @ 16th August 2019, 1:32 AM

You'll note my deliberately undermining myself for comic effect.

I got it! Catflap was okay but after The Young Ones and Happy Families the deterioration was hard to take, a la Laurel and Hardy. Yesterday I watched Bonny Scotland and there's too much plot and not enough slapstick.

But I must agree with Herc G-T that you have championed your beloved Mel C endlessly.

Well, some people have sex with underage roosters. M conscience is clear.

Must agree re. Nathan Barley - I didn't 'like' it as there were no likeable characters.

Unlike Bottom...

Ah yes, but the Bottom boys (as it were) did have more than one level of motivation, whereas the Barley characters were more yer purely one-dimensional wankers.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 16th August 2019, 8:31 AM

I got it! Catflap was okay but after The Young Ones and Happy Families the deterioration was hard to take, a la Laurel and Hardy. Yesterday I watched Bonny Scotland and there's too much plot and not enough slapstick.

Well, some people have sex with underage roosters. M conscience is clear.

Unlike Bottom...

Am too thick to get jailbait rooster gag. Anyway, do appreciate your admiration of Emma. Whenever I encounter trolls attempting to undermine her pristine girlish innocence I am, I assure you, merciless.

MERCILESS!

Ming never thanks me in French. He's Merciless.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 20th August 2019, 10:44 AM

Ming never thanks me in French. He's Merciless.

Thrrrrrrump Tishhhhhhh I thangyow.

You're just jealous because I have so many jokes and interesting facts about the Spice Girls.
They've taken Ruth out of the Bible. Ruthless!
Maybe it was better Nathan Barley had just one series. It was, um, unique.