Underused Characters Page 4

I don't think Rising Damp would have worked as well with more characters. Rigsby's closed mindedness was brilliantly fed by him having just a handful of lodgers to base his view of the world upon. Not quite enough to abuse his vulnerability, but just enough to allow him to feel superior.

Having a wider source would have, surely, led to him gaining a little more perspective on the reality that existed outside his insular little realm...and given us a Rigsby who might have been tempted to look further than his own nose.

He was, without realizing it, being purposely left to stew in his own juices by the characters around him. He enjoyed the idea that, as their landlord, they accepted he was in control...even if, sometimes, he knew he wasn't. They enjoyed winding him up and watching him go. More characters would have diluted the 'boiling pot' situation that made the series so successful.

Slater and Trigger in OFAH, Slater and the whole Raquel situation could have appeared in more episodes, such as after the baby had appeared. Trigger was a underused character had more potential imo.

Grouty could have been seen more in Porridge, as he was such a important figure in the prison, just as important as Mackay and Barrowclough.

Les from Men Behaving Badly

Mickey Pearce and Jevon from Only Fools.

Also Baz who appeared in one but infamous scene from Only Fools (when Rodney first questions why Trigger calls him 'Dave'. I think Baz will have made an excellent addition to the Nag's Head regulars. Had something about him that was quirky yet 'Foolsy' enough to work well.

Mrs. Cropley from Vicar of Dibley - does anyone know why they killed her off? Surely not for one small storyline where she asked all the village regulars to plant some easter eggs, thinking they were the 'chosen ones' to do the kind deed.

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 7th May 2019, 7:22 PM

Mrs. Cropley from Vicar of Dibley - does anyone know why they killed her off?

I believe her agent told the powers that be that if they wanted her to continue in the series, they'd have to increase her money.

Shortly thereafter, a motorcycle courier arrived at Liz's home to deliver a copy of the script for the next-to-be-recorded episode. Attached to the script was a note that read "Dear Liz, here is the script for the next episode, which contains your death."

She was not a happy bunny, I can assure you.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 7th May 2019, 9:56 PM

I believe her agent told the powers that be that if they wanted her to continue in the series, they'd have to increase her money.

Shortly thereafter, a motorcycle courier arrived at Liz's home to deliver a copy of the script for the next-to-be-recorded episode. Attached to the script was a note that read "Dear Liz, here is the script for the next episode, which contains your death."

She was not a happy bunny, I can assure you.

Really? Am I being gullible here? Refering to the bit about the rather passive-aggressive covering note on her script.

Proper nasty if true.

Liz Smith is my favourite female comedy actor of all time.

Source?

Vyv's mother in The Young Ones. Only two appearances but hilarious.

Mrs Miggins in Blackadder.

A bit more of Kirk's mum in 'Dear John' could've been a giggle. Presumably had there been a third series this would have come to pass.

Long time since I've seen it but more Tucker in Citizen Smith would've been good. Just the look of him made me Laughing out loud

Yes, he had some good lines too.
'ere Tucker, have you got a kid aged 13
'bound to have Wolfie