Hello BCG members

My name is Martin and I am based in Staffordshire. Although I am very new to writing comedy, I have already had some positive feedback about a sitcom I wrote from a production company in Manchester (although It never got past their development team for lack of original story strands). I am now working on a sketch series for which I already have a pilot penned. I would love to share it with you all and get some feedback and possibly a friendly collaborator.

My only issue is that I would only like to share my ideas with BCG members (I don't want it easily accessible on every search engine).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Hello Martin,

I'd be quite willing to look at your stuff and give you my best advice but my immediate reaction upon hearing that somebody wants to write a sketch show is to question the strength of the market for such a show in today's world of TV.

In days gone by, Harry and Paul took the writing of sketches to stratospheric levels of excellence and popularity but those days, as I say, have gone by.

Leaving aside the market for sketches and the damnable difficulty of coming up with a show full of good ones, you might be shooting yourself in the foot by teaming up with a male writing partner.

ITV has stated that they will not be employing all-male writing teams in the future. Yes, I know that statement was later withdrawn but, in many situations, there's no smoke without fire and I think this is one of those situations.

Team up with another bloke by all means but, if you do, I strongly recommend that you invent a female member of your writing team. If a TV company shows interest in your work and wants to meet the team in person, take your mum or your sister along and tell her to say as little as possible. How are they going to know she's not another Victoria Wood? Laughing out loud

Thanks for the advice.

Welcome.
"Critique" is now only available to BCG Pro Members - so it's a fairly safe place to share & have stuff read.
Otherwise PM willing victims.
Well done on the ProdCo interest.
Don't let it go cold, though. Keep in touch with them.

This particular production company only accepts unsolicited scripts by post once a year per individual (hence why they haven't seen my latest efforts). Although the feedback about the humour of the sitcom was positive I don't think It peaked their interest enough, hence why I started writing something new. I could rewrite elements but I don't think it has the legs for more than a few episodes unfortunately. It was my first effort though so pretty pleased overall. Thanks for the heads-up about the PMs.

Quote: Marv @ 13th August 2019, 3:51 PM

This particular production company only accepts unsolicited scripts by post once a year per individual .

You're not unsolicited anymore.
You have contacts - your well within your rights to follow up with fresh material.

I did contact "my contact" at the production company and your last quote of mine was pretty much the response. Obviously didn't make a great impression. I hear many stories about the first hurdle is getting past the receptionist and to get any sort of response is great. I may send them my script regardless. They can only say no. I've had worse rejections! I've managed to find one production company and one agency in Manchester so far willing to accept unsolicited scripts. The agency wanted to see a writing CV and all I could tell them about was my last experience with the prod co. Not much I know, I just hope they give it a chance.

By post? That's weird.