American remake that went badly wrong. Page 2

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 10th August 2019, 9:59 AM

Bloody hell MM, here's me agreeing with you again. :O

Doomed! We're doomed! The end of the world in nigh.............................. :(

That's twice in one decade. Disturbing. Do you like Melanie C's shoulders?
I know I posted this before, but there was a pilot of a Yank Young Ones 'Oh No, It's Them.' I'd be curious to see it, even though it was bound to be crap.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 11th August 2019, 8:34 AM

On TV progs only which ones make you feel that because I've never felt that? I don't watch a lot of American TV so I haven't seen any of this Sopranos or Breaking Bad stuff everyone was going on about.

Interestingly, the two TV programmes you name are very good examples of what I'm saying.

It's all subjective, of course, but in my opinion The Sopranos and Breaking Bad are superior to any TV dramas ever produced in Britain.

If I were saying that everything (or even most things) the Americans do on TV and in film were superior to everything or even most things the British do, that would indeed make for a highly controversial thread - but I'm not saying that or anything like it.

I'm saying that both countries produce brilliant films and TV and they both produce utterly rubbish films and TV but the very best films and TV come from America.

American remakes of British TV programmes and films are quite often dreadful but they do occasionally come up with a superior product - an example being House of Cards.

I'm not putting any of the above forward as a fact - it's simply my opinion.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 11th August 2019, 10:14 AM

That's twice in one decade. Disturbing. Do you like Melanie C's shoulders? I'd rather see her.......................

I know I posted this before, but there was a pilot of a Yank Young Ones 'Oh No, It's Them.' I'd be curious to see it, even though it was bound to be crap.

I never knew that! And we're unlikely ever to see it. This is all I could find on it, from Wikepedia :-

Oh, No! Not THEM! was an untelevised 1990 television pilot for an American television series remake of the British television show The Young Ones, commissioned by the Fox network.[1]

It starred Nigel Planer as Neil (reprising his Young Ones role) and Jackie Earle Haley,[2] and had a claymation opening credit sequence. Fox did not pick up the series. It was directed and produced by David Mirkin.[2]

I've scoured the Net and practically all the info I've found is summarised at the relevant lostmediaarchive.fandom.com page (can't get the link to work). I'd be interested in the same way as Clash fans buy 'Cut The Crap' or Beatlemaniacs buy Ringo LPs.
Has a Yank remake ever surpassed the original? Dear John was a carbon copy.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 11th August 2019, 9:15 AM

Well make yer bleedin' mind up - talk about sitting on the fence.
]

I can't decide which garden to pooh in, so I'm shitting on the fence.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 11th August 2019, 11:08 AM

...........or Beatlemaniacs buy Ringo LPs.

Laughing out loud I have a copy of his "Goodnight Vienna" album, which I won in a local radio competition many, many years ago and it's quite good actually. Cool

This post is off-topic.

This thread is off Topic. Does anyone remember Topic? It was a very nice chocolate bar with nuts, I think they used to advertise it with squirrels. Whatever happened to it? You can still buy Lion Bars and Picnics but not lovely old Topic. :(

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 11th August 2019, 11:08 AM

I'd be interested in the same way as Clash fans buy 'Cut The Crap' or Beatlemaniacs buy Ringo LPs.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 11th August 2019, 11:33 AM

This post is off-topic.

YOU started it.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 11th August 2019, 11:39 AM

This thread is off Topic. Does anyone remember Topic? It was a very nice chocolate bar with nuts, I think they used to advertise it with squirrels. Whatever happened to it? You can still buy Lion Bars and Picnics but not lovely old Topic. :(

Alf! Smile! £3 for four, can't be bad.......................

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Topic-Chocolate-Bars-4-Pack/dp/B00EZPT3GS/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_325_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=3QB50YC1F0V8X56ZCF53

The film was essentially five sitcom episodes stitched together so I'm mildly curious if each episode of this TV show features a different wedding or funeral.

If they want to try remaking a Richard Curtis product, Notting Hill is a better bet. It's not as well loved and the relationship between s big movie star and a pleb may have legs.

Breaking Bad has my vote for the best TV show of all time.

What you mean it's better than Downton Abbey? :O I won't have it, no Sir Angry

Quote: DaButt @ 11th August 2019, 6:13 PM

And "This is Us" and "Star Trek TNG" for the all of times

Quote: DaButt @ 11th August 2019, 6:13 PM

Never seen it!

Quote: Chappers @ 11th August 2019, 9:00 PM

Never seen it!

I've never experienced a show that was essentially perfect every episode. That's no mean feat considering there were 62 episodes.

I have to agree. I thought The Sopranos would never be beaten but Breaking Bad probably tops it.
The perfect story arc with superb cliff-hangers to every episode.
And the baddies just getting badder and badder.

The final episode of series 5 (faceoff) being the best episode of any series I have ever seen.