'Canned Laughter' Page 7

Quote: Chappers @ 9th August 2019, 10:31 PM

Were you tickling her?

My mother doesn't let me do that.

Quote: billwill @ 10th August 2019, 12:36 AM

One thing commonly done, I think, is to use the laughs from the FIRST take of any scene, because if they have to repeat the scene the audience don't laugh so well on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th take etc.

Another trick is to record the same routine with different audiences and mix the laughter, so it's as if one crowd is laughing twice as hard. There's an interesting chapter on this kind of con in Ronald Wolfe's 'Writing Comedy'.

Quote: Aaron @ 9th August 2019, 8:05 PM

Fair enough! I've been to dozens of recordings (and heard reports from many others) in the last 20 years though and never experienced anything of the kind, so it must be rare.

I remember cos it was sooooooooooooooo annoying and put on.

Quote: billwill @ 10th August 2019, 12:36 AM

One thing commonly done, I think, is to use the laughs from the FIRST take of any scene, because if they have to repeat the scene the audience don't laugh so well on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th take etc.

Absolutely.

As the Sitcom Geeks podcast lads once observed it's not just about the volume of laughter but the tone / texture ... the latter laughs being 'the laughter of encouragement, not of surprise' - a very insightful way of explaining the difference.