The most underrated comedy of all time? Page 22

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 9th August 2019, 11:38 AM

I dug out my old Young Ones DVD recently and I was amazed how hilarious it remains.

Wouldn't argue with that. Re-watched (again) the two DVD set I have of TYO and it STILL holds up well.

F**king Hell, two people agree with me on something. Worrying.
If you haven't seen Hapy Families, it's worth Youtubing, but be warned: it's far more sobre than their usual.

Three things I cannot do
1. Spel
2. Count.
I found an episode of Al Fresco on Boobtube. Boy, does it suck. I stopped watching. Maybe for every Young Ones there are six million Al Frescos, just as there are six million Elaines for every Catcher in the Rye.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 9th August 2019, 12:02 PM

I wouldn't argue with that - but I still like Catflap! Angry

Same here.

I cannot understand the low opinion that many people seem to have of the show. Admittedly the ep. with Fry & Laurie as art critics was rather poor.

That's the only one I enjoy, alongside the Mel Smith one. The first ep is probasbly the worst, but I can't sit through these again.

Yep, the Mel one was good.

But it's gotta be 'The Dinner Party' or the 'lager frenzy' / Anne Diamond one for me.

I just found most of them incredibly forced, unfocussed and formulaic. It surprises me that people have warmed to it. Maybe Bottom has desensitised us.

I suppose the Rik 'n' Ade characters lack depth as compared to their 'Bottom' counterparts and there's none of the pathos.

... but I'd say that 'Finger' from series 3 in which the boys masquerade as newlyweds to score a free holiday is pretty close to a Catflap episode.

Ralph Filthy is quite a unique creation though, and genuinely creepy. Weirdly, according to the wikipedias; " ... his lapel features a blue rose, a symbol of a quest for the impossible."

So there is the incontrovertible proof: hidden esoteric symbology in FRAC of all places!

Quote: Text Lexus @ 11th August 2019, 8:39 PM

I suppose the Rik 'n' Ade characters lack depth as compared to their 'Bottom' counterparts and there's none of the pathos.

These comments always amaze me. Bottom got compared to Steptoe and Son and ultimately Beckett - it's like comparing Emma Bunton to Jimi Hendrix. There is no depth or characterisation at all - it's pure slapstick.
The third ep of Catflap is essentially Bottom with Nigel Planer.

So there is the incontrovertible proof: hidden esoteric symbology in FRAC of all places!

I ''''knew'''' someone who wasconvinced that the line in New Order's Temptation (this circle that's been placed around me) is a refrerence to Ingmar Bergman's Through A Glass Darkly. I just couldn't see coked-up Bernard analysing the Silence of God trilogy.
I have given Catflap far too much alcohol and Spice time.

You cannot be serious!

Quote: Chappers @ 12th August 2019, 9:14 PM

You cannot be serious!

That ball was on the line! Chalk flew up! Angry

I surely am. There's far more to Bottom than the Tom and Jerry stuff. I don't know about Porridge, but there are a few bits more or less lifted straight out of Hancock's HH, though Galton & Simpson were never cited as an influence...

...and I maintain that there was a genuine attempt by Mayall / Edmonson to develop the characters in Bottom - how successfully being another matter, admittedly.

I have a feeling that Rik 'n' Ade did actually persuade some theatre to cast them in 'Godot', but they weren't very good.

PS. Michael, you can just about ruddy well take back what you said about Emma Bunton, young man.

Oh no, heavy heavy heavy