Obscure sitcom facts Page 12

Quote: Rood Eye @ 31st July 2019, 12:49 PM

In the Fawlty Towers episode "The Kipper and the Corpse" Basil, Manuel and Polly accidentally interrupt a guest who is in the process of blowing up a sex doll.
The name of the guest is "Mr Ingram" and the incident is a swipe at Richard Ingrams, editor of Private Eye magazine, who when writing in the magazine had frequently criticised Monty Python.

That's interesting cos I always thought that scene was gratuitous and vulgar by their standards, but it looks like there was point to it after all, even if no one would get it.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 31st July 2019, 1:30 PM

There is a DVD available of the 1960 feature film, Bottoms Up. Currently available Buy-it-Now on ebay from £5.85 upwards. And it occasionally pops up on TPTV.

The radio series is being re-run on Sunday mornings on Radio 4 Extra.

Long in my collection, but thanks. It's a good film, but just not Whack-O!.

Film versions of sitcoms are notriously iffy, the most obvious case being Porridge. It's no accident that they used two outside scriptwriters for the plot of the Alan Partridge movie, while the three regulars took care of the humour.

You may want the obscure sitcom opinions thread?

I can't think of any sitcom movie I enjoyed as much as the series. It's a totally different rhythm - compare Laurel and Hardy shorts to their full-lengtherszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

How dare you

Sons of the desert is a classic.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 9th August 2019, 8:36 AM

How dare you

Sons of the desert is a classic.

Wave

I was being sarcastic! The Music Box is, in the words of Charles Dickens, AWESOME. Gag after gag, no boring story-line, just one hilarious scene after another... Atoll K has always been a sad experience. It's like going straight from The Catcher in the Rye to Hapworth 16, 1924.
Years ago I wrote an article about this for Chortle but I won't clog up the thread.
Back on topic: Does anyone else remember a young David Baddiel in Filthy Rich and Catflap episode two?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 9th August 2019, 11:07 AM

piss... cock as the focus for my attention, I shouldn't have fell for it.

Bad language. 'Shouldn't have FALLEN.'
When Married With Children was closed, the cast weren't informed. Ed O'Neill was on holiday and heard from a couple he didn't even know.

I always abide by grammar laws. Them's the rules, innit.
I'm reading Happy Days by Samuel Beckett. It's not as funny as the series.
Hours of fun: http://mentalfloss.com/article/66330/14-nostalgic-facts-about-happy-days

Steptoe and Son was bought by America but remade using a black father and son, called Sanford and Son (1977). It was considered unpalatable to have a white family down on its heels. Roseanne broke that taboo in 1988.