Flatmates

With the scarce resources required to make a show, you'd think there would be some standards
This proves clearly there isn't!!
6 episodes dropped onto iplayer and the quality is shocking! Terrible characters, weak story, an absolute dearth of humour.
This was never going to be memorable but they could've made it half decent. I don't know how this script even got through the door, and critically, no writer's name is attached to the show, either in credits or on the internet.
The only explanation is at the end there's a hint of 'quota' - I think this show is merely a vehicle for executives to tick certain boxes (regional programming, perhaps more behind the scenes like age).
I'm not sure how many new shows they commission for a full series but this is definitely not in the top x scripts submitted this year but this surely isn't anywhere but the bottom of the pile

I've just watched 10 minutes of Episode 1 and I have to admit Alfie isn't a million miles away from the truth when he reviews it above.

I can see it appealing to a number of teenagers and to people who habitually watch TV in the afternoon and are thus accustomed to programs of "afternoon" quality.

Okay, so it's not Yes, Minister or even Friends but, in fairness, it was never intended to be either. Having said that, one major positive to be taken from what I saw of Episode 1 is the girl playing Yasmin the waitress (Nethra Tilakumara) who, among the cast of Flatmates, shines like a beacon. We'll be seeing a lot more her in much better quality productions, I'm sure.

If you're young (in body or at heart) and not difficult to please, it's an easy watch.

PS. The show is written by Gary Parker, who is is no stranger to TV script-writing.

Aimed at kids apparently.

Quote: Lazzard @ 7th August 2019, 1:50 PM

Aimed at kids apparently.

Yeah I read yesterday it's the sequel to a CBBC show and is indeed aimed at kids.

It turns out that yes, it's the sequel for Millie Inbetween, which Gary Parker wrote.
It appears that it may be aimed at a younger audience, but indeed a particular sub-section of youth called 'idiots'
When we were kids we were watching Blackadder and Only Fools and Monty Python so this is no excuse!

It's sad because the same guy wrote Campus which was quirky and fun, had potential.

I read from the blurb that one of the themes is Sex. And it's aimed at kids and shown on Cbeebies! Have they learnt nothing that lot at BH. Still run by Saviles.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 11th August 2019, 7:18 PM

And it's aimed at kids and shown on Cbeebies!

No, it's aimed at teenagers and available only through iPlayer.

I remember when teenage shows didn't talk down to them and assume they'd only like lowest common denominator stuff (mind you I also remember the execrable Coming of Age so....)

In Episode 1, a teen boy and a teen girl are a café and, in ordering something from the waitress, the boy ends his request with "Darling".

His companion immediately tells him off for this - because "you can't say that".

Interestingly, the other day at my local supermarket, the checkout woman addressed me as "Darling".

Clearly, she had never seen Flatmates.

Outrageous! Angry