Getting a sitcom discovered Page 2

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2043498079103915/

This is the fb link, or search for me Robert Rivett and you'll find it.

This only shows people who are supporting the show. But where is it? If you don't want us to see the show for free, at least show us a clip, not just the opening credits.

Opening credits tend to the driest thing about a comedy half hour (I'm really talking about the usual sitcoms here), though possibly may reveal elements of plot. But does the opening credits of Only Fools & Horses or say Blackadder II tell you how funny it is? Not really.

If we have true diversity then why shouldn't the cast all be white?

Because he wants to get it made.

It says something that it's the diversity issue not the sitcom that has been the main talking point on this thread. That said, i have just looked at the Gavin and Stacey cast - lots of women, but on first impressions not much racial diversity apparent from the cast photos.

Note:- i didn't actually watch G&S, so stand ready to be corrected.

G&S was created 12 years ago.
The TV landscape has changed dramatically.
Not saying it's right - but it's the way it is.

Quote: playfull @ 8th August 2019, 10:02 AM

the Gavin and Stacey cast . . . not much racial diversity.

What are you talking about? Half of them are Welsh and the other half are English! Laughing out loud

Quote: Lazzard @ 8th August 2019, 10:34 AM

G&S was created 12 years ago.
The TV landscape has changed dramatically.
Not saying it's right - but it's the way it is.

Yes, a 'quick' google search showed no visible contemporary discussion re G&S and diversity.

Every time I read this thread I keep thinking you are talking about Galton & Simpson. :S

The tiny snippet I've seen looks promising but, as Paul has suggested above, we really need to see a significant chunk of an episode before we can come to any conclusions regarding its TV prospects.

Unless we have something upon which to judge its potential entertainment value, diversity becomes something of a side issue.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 8th August 2019, 12:02 PM

Unless we have something upon which to judge its potential entertainment value, diversity becomes something of a side issue.

Probably not when it comes to the BBC.

But why should we discuss non-entertaining shows, Chappers?

Quote: playfull @ 8th August 2019, 10:02 AM

It says something that it's the diversity issue not the sitcom that has been the main talking point on this thread.

Yes indeed; the fact that the diversity quotient has literally to be THE primary and immediate focus strikes me as bizarre and sinister - and I'm a pretty modern sort of chap dontch'a know. I'm not having a go at those who have advised Robert on this issue as they are simply thinking of how to increase the show's chances of getting on the box.

Which reminds me ... I was somewhat surprised that 'Detectorists' and 'This Country' managed to make the grade, despite the whey-faced cast ( apart from that Asian lad in 'Detectorists' who can't act or talk ). Presumably the case was made that rural English communities are almost entirely white and therefore the casting reflected the racial mixture accurately.

Couldn't the same case be made for 'The Dump'? If Robert's writing about what he knows then that should in no way be problematic in a sane society.

What bothers me about the diversity agenda as applied to media production (and I have professional experience of this, though not in comedy directly) is that I believe it has created a culture where execs know they will be seen to be doing their jobs well (at the very least) as long as they obediently follow a simple set of instructions on 'inclusion'. There may still be room for flair and intuition and having the courage to follow hunches and take chances but when arithmetic rules the roost the decision-makers will follow the path of least resistance knowing they will receive praise despite having made the minimum effort.

Anyway, back to 'The Dump' or I'll get done for going off-topic...

Robert, you've done well to have generated interest in the project and receive messages of public support from Shaun 'Barry' Williamson and John Challis - though if I'm honest I found JC's in-character turn a little embarrassing :-/

I wish you the best of luck.