Odd Man Out

James Mason and Robert Newton in the same film - what's not to like? Have seen it in bits in the past on a Sunday afternoon post boozy lunchtime but this evening watched it all the way through courtesy of TPTV.

What a brilliant film!! Robert Newton doesn't come into it until about the last third, but the star is undoubtedly James Mason - what a superb actor! Had a tear in my eye at the close of this dark, moody and gritty film.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 31st July 2019, 11:59 PM

Had a tear in my eye at the close of this dark, moody and gritty film.

Shuuuuuuuut up, you poof!!!

Some of us are more sensitive than others. Teary You, you hard bastard. :P

Ok, just seen this movie is on YouTube...I will watch it soon and will post my opinion.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 2nd August 2019, 9:56 PM

Ok, just seen this movie is on YouTube...I will watch it soon and will post my opinion.

Good, but probably won't affect you what with the hard life you Swiss lead on those cold, dark mountains.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 2nd August 2019, 9:56 PM

Ok, just seen this movie is on YouTube....

Well, can only see one full movie copy on YT and if it's the one you are thinking of you will be sadly disappointed and maybe very annoyed as it has been uploaded by one of these idiots who posts pointless unwatchable videos. They either do it for perverse reasons or they are just f**king cretins. Angry

If you do get to see it, watch out for an uncredited Dora Bryan as one of the girls in the telephone box and Wilfrid Brambell as one of the passengers on the tram.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 3rd August 2019, 6:33 AM

Well, can only see one full movie copy on YT and if it's the one you are thinking of you will be sadly disappointed and maybe very annoyed as it has been uploaded by one of these idiots who posts pointless unwatchable videos. They either do it for perverse reasons or they are just f**king cretins. Angry

Yes, I know. I'm not sure I'm going to watch it. Did you watch it on tv or dvd?

Otherwise I love these old movies. I grew up on Cary Grant, Orson Wells....and Laurel & Hardy.

TV, on Talking Pictures TV and I think I saw it repeated at the end of this week - I'll look it up for you; BUT do you think you'll be able to get TPTV?

2.35 this afternoon (Monday).

Thanks Billy.....................my morning suddenly got busy. Still meaning to view it again in FF to check out Dora Bryan and Wilfrid Brambell.

Did you read my note about John Charlesworth?

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/35193/

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 5th August 2019, 10:33 AM

Did you read my note about John Charlesworth?

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/35193/

I did, yes. Interesting and poignant in equal measures. I Must admit I don't know John Charlesworth but I am aware that Anthony Valentine also played Harry Wharton (somewhat bizarrely after having earlier played Mauleverer in the same series), Michael Crawford played Frank Nugent and Melvyn Hayes played Skinner. Kynaston Reeves & Edward Lexy were the masters Quelch and Prout of course.

Well, here they are, which I have done quickly and is not bad considering I did these hand held at about 1/15th sec. Dora would have been 24 in her very first film appearance and Wilfrid 35 ALSO in his first film appearance, and both had non speaking parts lasting about 5 seconds!!