US Hitchhikers Sitcom Page 2

Quote: chipolata @ 28th July 2019, 12:51 PM

the frankly shit looking seventies TV adaptation.

Eighties! (Imagine nerdy emoticon here.)

Good luck to our colonial cousins, I say. I'd be far more interested in a new UK TV version though, and continuing beyond book one.

Great idea. Take possibly the most quintessiantally English brand of humour and sell it to the Yanks. What can possibly go wrong? Even a full-screen Zooey Deschanel could't kee me alive through the film.
HH was massively overrated anyway. A very good bout (the first rado series i.e. the first book and end of the second book i.e. the TV series) followed by a slightly less good one (the second radio seies i.e. the start of the second book) and that was pretty much it. The third wasn't even a Hitch-Hiker's story, and the fourth would never have been published without the former glories. Five was okay but the magic had gone.
Come back Eoin Colfer.
'It is obvious to viewers that Beeblebrox's second head doesn't move.' WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAATT? I never noticed. They completely had me fooled. Another myth deflated.

The radio series were the best.

The original three series, you mean?

There were two original series. The others were retros based on the books.

Quote: chipolata @ 27th July 2019, 10:18 AM

That said, the American Office was excellent,.

The problem with the Yank Office was that it lost contact with reality. The perfect example is Gareth, who is the least sympathetic main character, but he COULD exist and you feel a twinge of empathy. There is no one on Earth like Dwight, and if there was, you wouldn't employ him for years...