Sorry! Page 5

Quote: Wheel @ 22nd October 2018, 7:57 PM

my only concern is whether the mother will get on my nerves too much. I have heard that the mother has ruined the show for them from other people.

Without the mother, of course, there would have been no show.

My friend had a mother like Mrs Lumsden.
It wasn't too far fetched.
She laid his clothes out every day (he was 29) and always asked through narrowed eyes if he was seeing a girl tonight
She once phoned me at 3 in the morning to ask if he was with me.
When I replied no, she said where is he, I can't go to bed until he comes home.
After a pause she ventured, is he with a girl?
What do you think
Sorry for calling you, I hope you weren't asleep.

At his wedding, in church, everyone heard her say 'that's the ugliest bride I've ever seen'

Laughing out loud

Language,Timothy.

😁 Stephen and Billy are both right, the sitcom was really about the mother or an extreme caricature of the close family matriarch, of which you don't see as many of today as you used to, unless you go to countries like Italy or Greece maybe. In Sorry she was more the obsessive son smothering type, played OTT as befits a trad sitcom. I'm trying to watch the current rerun on That's TV but it really is so cringe making at times I'm finding it impossible to watch all the way through or without turning over then coming back.

I find it more a fascinating curiosity rather than a good sitcom, the fact it was a popular show with a long run, with such a monstrous sitcom monster, a so so script, and a performance from the supposed star Corbett I still clearly remember being ridiculed for his alleged poor acting. But it's still funny in the overall concept, and at times cringely hilarious in the bits I can stand watching.

I can't remember anything Ronnie Corbett did after the Two Ronnies. Sorry!

I can't believe that it ran for seven series? It really was poor!

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 20th August 2023, 9:36 AM

Corbett I still clearly remember being ridiculed for his alleged poor acting

I've often wonderful if he became a star just because he shared a name with another, funnier Ronnie. Actually I've never wondered that in my life.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 20th August 2023, 9:36 AM

the close family matriarch, of which you don't see as many of today as you used to, unless you go to countries like Italy or Greece maybe.

Definitely. The character is more identifiable out here. Italian mothers aren't too unlike her.

Ronnie Corbet was one of the best story telling comedians of his day, imo. Other than Laurel and Hardy, which other double act was so evenly matched at delivering the punchlines ?

Not really. Barker dominated the show.
I have vague memories of Sorry and they don't inspire me to dig it out again.

Sorry had more than 13 million viewers for 7 series. The Young ones, around 5 million viewers for 2 series.

Do I criticise your religion?

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 18th September 2023, 8:37 AM

Not really. Barker dominated the show.

No he didn't

There was no straight man on the Two Ronnies (unlike Morecambe & Wise)

Corbett is utterly brilliant on the four candles sketch for example

Pantomime season's started early this year.
The Village People wanted to start a comedy duo. Couldn't find a straight man.
Sorry is arse though.