US Hitchhikers Sitcom

Any thoughts on this? So Ford Prefect isn't even going to pretend to be from Guildford?

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/5432/hitchhikers_guide_usa/

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 26th July 2019, 10:32 AM

Any thoughts on this? So Ford Prefect isn't even going to pretend to be from Guildford?

Phhhtttt - blow it outya ass America

I won't bother to watch it. Is he going to call himself Buick Skylark from Louisville KY godammit, or summat like that.

Is anybody from the film involved?
If so,no thank you!

We have a tendency to be overly precious about things att times. I'm quite happy to see what they come up with. It might work, it might not.

Quote: chipolata @ 26th July 2019, 10:16 PM

We have a tendency to be overly precious about things att times.

Nope. You watch the Yank remake of "The Lady Killers" and wonder (1) why the f**k they bothered and (2) they f**ked it up.

The Ladykillers remake isn't a terrible film by any means, just an average one. I agree it's a pointless remake, and the fact it was made by the mighty Coen brothers makes it all the more disappointing.

That said, the American Office was excellent, and the House of Cards remake wasn't too shabby either. And the Dirk Gently show (another Adams book) had a certain charm.

I say remake away! Very few, even terrible remakes/reboots, have actually damaged or tarnished the original. Nobody thinks Total Recall or Robocop or The Hitcher are any less brilliant because of some mediocre reboots. And if it works you might just get an interesting show out of it.

Why is everyone talking about films? The header refers to a sitcom and the article referred to TV treatment. The idiot box-it's the future guys.

They're remakes, whatever way you look at it, and if we hadn't have chipped in you would have had zero response to your thread. ;)

Be grateful for what you receiveth. :P

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 27th July 2019, 11:46 AM

Zero response to your thread.

Holding out for a 42...

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 26th July 2019, 10:32 AM

I'm sure there must be at least one Guildford in the USA as they have many of our citys' names especially in the populous north east. So there's no reason why not still.

The other good thing about a new adaptation is that it could bring fresh fans to Adams work, turned off by the frankly shit looking seventies TV adaptation.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 27th July 2019, 11:13 AM

Why is everyone talking about films? The header refers to a sitcom and the article referred to TV treatment. The idiot box-it's the future guys.

I did mention Dirk Gently, which is a TV show. And I also mentioned the Office and House of Cards, two more TV shows.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 28th July 2019, 12:07 PM

I'm sure there must be at least one Guildford in the USA as they have many of our citys' names especially in the populous north east. So there's no reason why not still.

A Google Maps search shows two Guilfords, but no Guildfords.

Hmm bit surprised by that, however...I notice it still has the silent u which is an old English hangover so I might reasonably assume they were named after the capital of Surrey but lost the d which many people here don't pronounce anymore either. ? Guild was a common word, but Guil has never been...afaik. Huh?

Quote: chipolata @ 28th July 2019, 12:51 PM

The other good thing about a new adaptation is that it could bring fresh fans to Adams work, turned off by the frankly shit looking seventies TV adaptation.

I liked that version, the cheapness of it added to its charm I thought.

So is it a film or a sitcom?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 28th July 2019, 1:59 PM

I liked that version, the cheapness of it added to its charm I thought.

I agree entirely, it does have a certain charm, but that cheapness probably turns off a lot of younger viewers.