The Weather Page 190

Some serious rainfall right now and the forecast it's going to be all night with lightning. Parts of Wales have had a weather alert because of the amount of rain expected. I can live with the rain but I don't like thunderstorms. I used to when they were pretty tame but now they are more destructive.

I love 'em. Fantastic one here the other night, orange lightening. But there was wasn't a rumble of thunder all night. Then today thunder and no lightening. :S I blame Trump.

I love a good downpour if I'm at home with a mug of soup and I always think of Fawlty's line "It's good for the wheat!" but super storms have become too common to enjoy them anymore as there is always the concern they could last for days and cause fatalities and wreak thousands of acres of farm land. After the big storm in 2014 when it bucketed it down for days I drove from Stroud to Oxford which is usually 40 miles of nice countryside views of fields but mile after mile of the fields were submerged in water and it wasn't just a light layer but meters of water so boat was the only way to travel across them. It was a sight you had to see to believe because of how widespread the flooding was.

Just heard on the radio it could hit 30C today. Let's hope not. Saying that, I don't seem to get anywhere near as uncomfortable in the heat as I used to.

Quote: Ben @ 27th June 2018, 9:19 AM

Just heard on the radio it could hit 30C today. Let's hope not.

Quote: DaButt @ 27th June 2018, 12:20 PM

You're probably more adjusted to such weather! And there's more domestic air con in the US than here. I've only ever met one person with proper air con units in their house here. Needless to say, they were rich.

Quote: Ben @ 28th June 2018, 10:40 AM

You're probably more adjusted to such weather! And there's more domestic air con in the US than here. I've only ever met one person with proper air con units in their house here. Needless to say, they were rich.

I'm comfortable between about 55F/13C and 90F/32C. Above that I seek out shade, a pool, or air conditioning, but sometimes it's impossible. You haven't lived until you've mowed a large lawn when the sun is blazing and it's 108F/42C.

Air conditioning is almost essential in most parts of the country. In some parts of the south you could literally die in a house without it. You won't find many post-WW2 homes or buildings without central air, and most older homes have been retrofitted with either central air or window units. My house has 2 central air units and 2 gas-fired furnaces: one for each floor. I start running the a/c in March and it doesn't stop until late October or early November. I try to keep it at 75F/24C in the summer.

Do your cars have air conditioners? I don't know if you could even buy one without it here. The latest trend is perforated seats which blow cool air on your back and butt. It's the greatest thing ever on hot days.

Quote: DaButt @ 28th June 2018, 1:37 PM

Do your cars have air conditioners? I don't know if you could even buy one without it here. The latest trend is perforated seats which blow cool air on your back and butt. It's the greatest thing ever on hot days.

The last two cars I've had have had air con. I think it's standard on most cars now and has been for a while. The air con in my Peugeot was immense, it was like driving round in an ice cube. The air con in my Ford isn't quite as good, but still a life saver on hot days.

Quote: Ben @ 28th June 2018, 1:42 PM

The last two cars I've had have had air con. I think it's standard on most cars now and has been for a while.

I figured that would be the case. I'm sure it's easier/cheaper for automakers to put them in every vehicle rather than make it an option.

I supposedly have aircon in my French-made MPV, but in fact the gas leaks away over a summer so I have not refilled the gas for several years.

No aircon in my sportscar, you just open the windows :)

I have climate control in the car.
The dog in the passenger seat gets 18°C and I get arctic blasts.
We are both happy with that.

The street is strewn with wheelie bins (empty as the bin men have been) and I'm wondering if the roof might blow off.

My path's covered in cats knackered by the heat. I'm thinking of going out and joining them on the cold concrete.

Cold concrete? I've blistered my feet on concrete during Texas summers.

I've had to take my big coat off.

It'll be me wellies next