Current radio comedy Page 141

Quote: italophile @ 28th June 2019, 8:47 AM

I'm not sure who decided it was a good idea to commission a series of Paul Merton and Suki Webster's "My Obsession". The pilot was underwhelming, a mishmash of not very funny one-liners, clunky exposition and nothing remotely illuminating. It also revealed that Paul Merton wasn't an actor. Suki Webster was equally limited. I caught the first episode and nothing has changed. Not very funny one-liners recycled from the pilot and clunky exposition. The audience seemed keen to like it but were obviously struggling to find a genuine laugh. It feels like a vanity project.

I didn't mind the first episode, but it worked perfectly adequately as a one off play. Not sure why they felt there was enough to give it a full series.

On the radio every joke seems to sound cornier but I listened to the first episode and thought it was alright.

Quote: chipolata @ 28th June 2019, 11:40 AM

Not sure why they felt there was enough to give it a full series.

That's my point. The go-to gag in the pilot was the Merton character saying something, the Webster character correcting him, citing source and date. Amusing the first time, but they flogged it. There it is again in the first episode. Running gags are fine providing there's a modicum of variation and they're funny. Not in this case.

I'm loving A Trespasser's Guide To The Classics. It's intelligent, clever and just plain funny. The notion is sort of borrowed, I suppose, from Rosencrantz and Guildernstern Are Dead but they pull it off with panache. Talented writers and performers.

Good old Dave Podmore is always worth a listen too. Chris Douglas sometimes lapses into Ed Reardon but I forgive him. It's loaded with so many gags that you can miss some the first time around.

The Absolutely Radio Show.

Like a cross between Round The Horne and The Fast Show.

I really like it.

Yes, but I'm a fully paid up member of the John Sparkes Appreciation Society.He's brilliantly bonkers in everything.

Hancock and The School Reunion

"Battles are won and lost on the playing fields of Greystones
..............so say the village girls".

Weak at the Top
Radio4 extra

With Alexander Armstrong and Geoffrey Whitehead

Very funny with Weak the marketing maestro who talks like Jeremy Clarkson

I enjoyed the Paul Sinha quiz thing last night on Radio 4. He's a very amiable and likeable performer.

Tried very hard to enjoy Lobbyland but afraid I failed. Apart from just not being funny it felt some of the technology/youth elements were thrown in and then simplified for your average Radio 4 listener. Sort of defeats the point of an internet based reporter.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 6th May 2019, 7:20 AM

Mr Pedant here.................

WELL, it's current on Radio 4 Extra as is Hancock and a lot of others. So, you would not call any repeat no matter how recent the original airing on any station current? So is this thread only for current "current" shows? :D

AND if you check the original thread starter ("twisted thread starter") it is none other than (speaks in hushed tones) Lord Mark and the second post Sir Aaron, BOTH mentioning what was then BBC Radio 7 (now 4 extra of course, but WHY they changed it is another matter and a different thread)

;)

Bit of a delayed response but fair enough...however, I would say there's more than enough to talk about on Hancock and similar to give them their own thread. I guess I saw this thread for new comedy for me to discover rather than old favourites I'm familiar with.

However, given the paucity of new comedy that grabs me (Madam Mayor - arghhh) I am spending more time with Radio 4 Extra and what I'd consider the classics.

Quote: Sixty3closure @ 1st September 2019, 1:18 AM

Tried very hard to enjoy Lobbyland but afraid I failed. Apart from just not being funny it felt some of the technology/youth elements were thrown in and then simplified for your average Radio 4 listener. Sort of defeats the point of an internet based reporter.

Yeah, I listemed to one episode. I didn't hate it, I just never felt compelled to listen to any more.

Quote: chipolata @ 1st September 2019, 7:32 AM

Yeah, I listemed to one episode.

I think you mean I listened. (Touché)

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 1st September 2019, 10:14 AM

Ooooh, you're on shaky ground pointing out typos or spelling mistakes what with the number of excuses (it's amazing in this day and age) people can come up with for their errors - I learnt that lesson many moons ago and let 'em go..............................not unless it's Chappers. :D

I quite agree. Only did so to show that none of us is immune (hence the touché) because, two days ago:

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 29th August 2019, 10:02 PM

That's vry astute and well argued.

Quote: chipolata @ 29th August 2019, 10:12 PM

I think you mean very.

Ah yes, well parried - I've had the pleasure of doing that to.................................(two guesses) Pleased

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 1st September 2019, 10:14 AM

Not really, I'm not as hyper-sensitive as you about things. I'm quite happy to accept I make them, especially when posting from a phone. I pointed out yours the other day because I knew it would rankle your personality type. My bad!