The most underrated comedy of all time? Page 20

You Rang M'Lord has to be up there, overshadowed by the overrated Dad's Army. YRML, is brilliant, one of the best I've watched, Just fantastic.

You wash your mouth out! (I wasn't going to comment, but will now on your other post)

Quote: Wheel @ 3rd March 2019, 11:07 AM

You Rang M'Lord has to be up there,

I don't think it was ever up there, mainly because Croft and Perry consistently ignored demands from sitcom aficionados that they should stick it up there.

Both arrangements of People Like Us were communicated; the show originates before the majority of the embarrassments by very a few years (2001).

I do concur that Help merits substantially more credit, however.

"The Drew Carey Show" is a light and very funny US sitcom, underrated there and everywhere (but not "the most...). Craig Ferguson played an insensitive, gross, frolicking and always in good nature boss. Very good acting. Opening credits are also an art in itself.

I used to watch The Drew Carey Show, on Channel 4 I think. It was a good show they used to do very funny Halloween specials

I watched You Rang, M'Lord? on Gold thought it was awful

There are three excellent (IMO) turn-of-the-century BBC sitcoms that I'm fond of, and think are objectively brilliant, yet seem to be totally forgotten for no good reason that I can see:

"Beast" - 'starring' a then relatively unknown Alexanderzander Armstrong. Lovely stuff.

"Chalk" - the anarchic schoolcom featuring an extraordinarily intense Fawltyesque performance from David Bamber.

"The Peter Principle" - featuring unbearably tense plotlines in which Jim Broadbent's feckless bank manager avoids work, lies left, right and centre, and then has to dig himself out of the clarts with varying degrees of success.

I don't think any of these have been considered worth releasing on DVD - but then it took many years of pressure on our state broadcaster for the marvellous "Joking Apart" to be made available.

Obviously Saxondale is great, but hardly remembered ... and for some reason I've met people who are fans of Bottom (the television programme) but have never even heard of the fantastic Filthy, Rich and Catflap.

And "Dear John" seems to be universally overlooked, which I find totally baffling.

Mind you I really like Brittas and can't conceive of a world without Ever Decreasing Circles , so what do I know??

>
>
>

Edit: "Get Some In" was pretty good too.

P.S. I haven't noticed an OVERRATED SITCOM thread but would like to nominate "Some Mothers..." anyway.

Quote: Text Lexus @ 4th June 2019, 2:11 AM

There are three excellent (IMO) turn-of-the-century BBC sitcoms that I'm fond of, and think are objectively brilliant, yet seem to be totally forgotten for no good reason that I can see:

"Beast" - 'starring' a then relatively unknown Alexanderzander Armstrong. Lovely stuff.

"Chalk" - the anarchic schoolcom featuring an extraordinarily intense Fawltyesque performance from David Bamber.

Beast is on DVD, as is the first series of Chalk:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00F99HSYI/comedyguide-21/

http://www.replaydvd.co.uk/chalks1.htm

Aha! This is excellent news. Thanks jsg.

That 'Beast' DVD artwork is abysmal :-)

Edit: While I think of it, Swiss Toni was pretty good wasn't it?

Wasn't it?

Swiss Toni is wonderful. Joyously silly.

Not sure if it's already been mentionted, but How do you want me? was excellent. Sadly all but forgotten now.

The Dylan Moran / Charlotte Coleman sitcom in which he winged her bully of a father with a shotgun? * Yes, that was great. I have a few episodes on VHS cassettes in a box ... somewhere.

Hope it hasn't been totally forgotten.

* I mean, that was when tensions came to a crisis point. He didn't just shoot his father-in-law in every episode.

I believe it's currently deleted, but it has been released on DVD, so definitely not forgotten!

What about Warren?