Insects - Mankind's future? Page 2

Quote: zooo @ 4th June 2016, 10:46 AM BST

I've always said I'd be a vegetarian if I had to kill it myself. I don't even eat or prepare meat that looks anything like a piece of an animal.

I said in another thread recently that I don't really get why vegetarians want their substitutes to look like meat products . . . you either like and eat meat or you don't (and it may be a myth, but I learned when I was a kid that Paul & Linda McCartney used to cook up a batch of macaroni cheese on Christmas Eve, let it cool then mould into shape of a turkey for carving on the day :O )

But each to their own. Live and let live, I say . . . the only living things I have a problem with being killed are the really small ones. A cow is one life that feeds many for weeks, but a tiny little bird or a squirrel? You pick that out of your teeth!

So one of my mantras applies . . . just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Surely if we're talking about Macca, it's live and let die?

Quote: sootyj @ 4th June 2016, 10:55 AM BST

Surely if we're talking about Macca, it's live and let die?

Ha! Never realised he's such a hypocrite. Cool

But on subject of mac & cheese - I live above a pub and is tempting to go down if sunny, sit outside and order pub lunch but I'm damned if I'm going to pay £6.95 for something I make far better myself and for a fraction of the cost, so I just make it look the same by using a big plate with a single serving oval earthenware dish . . . and open window to let sun in.

Make up batch of mac & cheese as no point doing one serving - put in oval dishes & freeze rest if necessary. Around 50p a portion?

Frozen potato wedges for oven are good for on the side and cost £1 for large bag at Sainsbury's. 20p a portion?

Frozen peas. Also 20p?

Throw a few sliced tomatoes and parsley on top once baked and you have a pub meal for a little over a quid.

Happy days!

Do you play a loop of EastEnders loudly in the background whilst drinking a luke warm pint of whilst doing so.

Then throw yourself out of your own at 11pm, to complete the full pub experience?

Quote: sootyj @ 4th June 2016, 12:06 PM BST

Do you play a loop of EastEnders loudly in the background whilst drinking a luke warm pint of whilst doing so.

Then throw yourself out of your own at 11pm, to complete the full pub experience?

That would be ideal, but sadly they play an eclectic array of passable music which gives an acceptable hum in my flat, and last orders must be way past 11pm as they wake me up at 1.30am to close up, by which time I am already planning breakfast.

Quote: zooo @ 4th June 2016, 10:03 AM BST

(Presumably there wouldn't be any if it was synthetic.)

It won't be synthetic, it'll be actual meat, just grown in a lab. It's already been done, they just need to perfect the process and make it cost-effective.

Ah. But would there be gristle and all that weird shiz that goes around bones and muscles and stuff? (...At least I think it's there because of them.)

Quote: zooo @ 4th June 2016, 2:15 PM BST

Ah. But would there be gristle and all that weird shiz that goes around bones and muscles and stuff? (...At least I think it's there because of them.)

Probably not. I'm sure they'll optimize it for perfect quality.

Quote: zooo @ 4th June 2016, 2:15 PM BST

I still have bad dreams about liver and onions on a Sunday.

I could just about deal with the hard white bits in bacon because it's, well, bacon - but my mother had a tough job on her hands getting me to eat liver with all that nobbly ventricle shit on the top of it.

Sick

Oh god. The innards are definitely not meant to be eaten. Unless you're starving to death and stranded in a forest or something.

Quote: zooo @ 4th June 2016, 6:04 PM BST

Oh god. The innards are definitely not meant to be eaten. Unless you're starving to death and stranded in a forest or something.

Tell that to Michelin star chefs. It seems the more dosh you're prepared to part with, the more gross the innards.

Can you imagine shifting calf's brains and sweetbreads at a Wetherspoon's? :O :| :P

I've never been happier not to be rich.

Quote: Strumpet @ 4th June 2016, 6:02 AM BST

I have swallowed a fly or two, it happens in fly season here, the only good thing is the whole bottle of chardy you drink to wash it down.

Strumpet

No, no, no! You have to swallow a bird to catch the fly.

Quote: Chappers @ 4th June 2016, 8:56 PM BST

No, no, no! You have to swallow a bird to catch the fly.

I've been doing it wrong all this time? Damn I'll have a look out for a cockatoo then.

Strumpet

Quote: Strumpet @ 4th June 2016, 6:02 AM

I have swallowed a fly or two, it happens in fly season here,

I swallowed a fly on the way home on Friday. So far I've yet to die.