eBay Page 6

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 8th July 2019, 12:27 PM

Now, not only have eBay deleted the "offending" item they have now given me a 30 day listing ban as I was continuing to sell offensive weapons. i.e in the typical carving set of fork, sharpening steel was of course the important item of a carving knife.

I've now followed up my online chat appeal with a phone call to their Customer (HA!)Service and they will not budge on the 30 day listing ban. B*******!

Sorry Brio, the loan is off.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 9th July 2019, 3:52 PM

I've now followed up my online chat appeal with a phone call to their Customer (HA!)Service and they will not budge on the 30 day listing ban. B*******!

Sorry Brio, the loan is off.

Teary

I remember a few years back I listed some electronic items that needed software to program them.
It was a package; the electronic item, a programming lead and the software.
I had contacted the original authors of the software to ask if it was ok and they said yes (as it was years out of date)
as long as I didn't charge for it.
Ebay told me they had complaints that I was selling illegal software even though I had listed the software as free
I explained about the owners saying it was ok but my listing was deleted, 2 buyers were refunded - taken straight out of my account even though they had received the items and I was given a warning.

Apart from the minefield of restricted items listed below, you need to be aware of selling anything as "new" as well, say for example an unwanted gift that is still in its original wrapping etc. etc. As far a they are concerned it is NOT new, as I have found out.
The odd thing is they don't seem to mind you listing it as new under Item Description, BUT NOT in the Title i.e. the main listing header.

Prohibited and restricted items
• Academic, beta, and OEM software
• Adult only category
• Alcohol
• Animals and wildlife products
• Artefacts, archives, antiques, cultural items and grave-related items
• Autographed items
• Bootleg recordings
• Catalogues
• Chance listings
• Charity and fundraising
• Complilation and informational items
• Contracts
• Counterfeit currency and stamps
• Credit and debit cards
• Currency, selling
• Digitally delivered goods
• Drugs and drug paraphernalia
• Electrical and electronics equipment - examples include cable TV decoders, radar jamming devices, and traffic light control devices
• Embargoed goods and prohibited countries - examples include items from Cuba
• Enabling duplication of copy-protected material
• Encouraging illegal activity
• Event ticket resale
• Firearms, weapons, and knives - examples include pepper spray, replica firearms, and stun guns
• Food
• Gaming machines (slot or fruit machines)
• Government, transit, and postal items and official items - examples include aeroplane operations manuals, public transportation employee uniforms, and Royal Mail mailbags
• Hazardous, restricted or regulated materials - examples include batteries, fireworks and refrigerants
• Human remains and body parts
• International trading
• Items encouraging illegal activity - examples include an eBook describing how to create methamphetamine
• Jewellry
• Lock-picking devices
• Mailing lists and personal information
• Medicine and healthcare products - examples include prescription drugs, contact lenses, pacemakers, and defibrillators
• Multi-level marketing, pyramid and matrix programs
• Offensive material - examples include ethnically or racially offensive material and Nazi memorabilia
• Perfume and cosmetics
• Personal relationships and services
• Pesticides
• Plants and seeds
• Police-related items
• Presale listings
• Property
• Recalled items
• Recordable media
• Replicas, counterfeit items, and unauthorised copies
• Stamps, currency, and coins
• Stocks and other securities
• Stolen property
• Surveillance equipment - examples include wiretapping devices and telephone bugging devices
• Tobacco
• Travel
• Used clothing
• Used cosmetics
• Vouchers
• Weeds (see plants and seeds)

I have two or three Gamages catalogues from the 1950s to replace the one my Dad threw away (Grrr!) that I used to read as a sprog, salivating at all the diecast toys, aeroplane kits and train sets that my parents couldn't afford to buy me.

And so, when what was clearly a very early (certainly Edwardian if not earlier) Gamages toy catalogue was listed on eBay for £2 starting price I thought "Yes, I'll have a go at that" and put in a £4 bid, thinking I can always up it when I see the lie of the land from other bidders. The catalogue it must be said/pointed out was in poor condition and had no covers or spine and was basically just the pages stapled together.

After it got to £20, I lost interest and now see that it went finally for £510 with an under bidder of £500. The person who listed it must have been gobsmacked!

The item I ordered 2 weeks ago from 10 miles away has finally arrived by a courier service.
He ran down the path at 07:30am like he was delivering a kidney for transplanting.
Sorry, the patient is already dead.

You know what I've never understood with eBay, why do so many sellers only offer second class postage?

Is it to make their offering look more affordable?

Because, get this, I'm willing to pay an extra 40p to get my item a few days earlier.

Quote: Ben @ 11th February 2022, 4:15 PM

You know what I've never understood with eBay, why do so many sellers only offer second class postage?

Is it to make their offering look more affordable?

Because, get this, I'm willing to pay an extra 40p to get my item a few days earlier.

You are an exception. I'm selling on eBay every week, and now postage costs are so bleedin' high it make economic sense for the buyer. I often offer an alternative, but rarely is it taken up, and in some cases they say something like "I'm in no rush, post it when you can"

Quite often the sale is say £2.95, and if it is over a kilo, that's £3.20 second class - clearly more expensive than the item.

Got myself a signed Fred Dinenage photo off eBay today. Don't ask "How"...

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 3rd October 2023, 5:14 PM

My question would be why?

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 3rd October 2023, 5:14 PM

It's arrived!

A pee a pee, a pee pow po.

I found three old hard drives in a box of vital computer spares. (so vital, the box has been in the attic for 20+ years)
I tried to connect and read them on my PC but even though BIOS saw them, Windows 10 refused to.

I saw on eBay that someone was selling an IDE to USB converter for £2.50 (free postage) eh?
It worked immediately.
There were hundreds of long-forgotten photographs (some of millennium parties) so £2.50 was a bargain.

If you have old hard drives eBay does have it's uses.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 2nd January 2024, 8:12 AM

I found three old hard drives in a box of vital computer spares. (so vital, the box has been in the attic for 20+ years)
I tried to connect and read them on my PC but even though BIOS saw them, Windows 10 refused to.

I saw on eBay that someone was selling an IDE to USB converter for £2.50 (free postage) eh?
It worked immediately.
There were hundreds of long-forgotten photographs (some of millennium parties) so £2.50 was a bargain.

If you have old hard drives eBay does have it's uses.

Can you translate this into English please?

Haha.
The part in your PC/laptop that stores all your files and programs was called a hard drive.
20 years of evolution and those old hard drives now won't connect to your PC
But a gizmo will allow you to connect to it by plugging it into a USB socket on your pc.