Do we drive the ladies away or... Page 2

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 5th July 2019, 4:16 PM

I used to frequent a Snooker forum...
the place is still as friendly...
No-one ever scolded you for having a different opinion to them...

Yes, I think you've hit on the fundamental difference between that forum and this one!

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 5th July 2019, 6:54 AM

It's not as offensive as some other sites.

I have an awful feeling some people are going to take that as a challenge. Laughing out loud

I've found most forums OK except the religious ones,avoid them if you are of a nervous disposition.

If I could write as good as Victoria Wood I would die a happy man.

Hmm although I risk a PMing or a banning for being misogynistic I have to ask Isn't this just the natural difference between the sexes? Isn't it normal for more females to go through a series of memberships and relationships and for males to stubbornly cling to one or two their entire life, or as long as possible? Refer yourselves to the many surveys on clubs, marriages, moving home and it is well established that women initiate changes here far more than men (in free countries).

They seem to be far more inclined to live life via a series of new ventures than men who may have several things going on at once but seem to hang on to each of them much longer. Women tend to get fed up with situations far quicker and want to move on to new ones. Naturalists and similar others have noted that this is Natures way of keeping mankind progressing, the females are the needy prompters for the males to take on new challenges and therefore progress into better living conditions etc. The BCG imbalance is just Nature's way.

We need to cut out the dreary discussions on Political Correctness. It's old hat and not something anybody under the age of forty gives a toss about. Nothing makes us look like a bunch of old out-of-touch farts more than when somebody starts using the dreaded phrase "PC brigade" and launching into a sixteen hundred word post about how things were better in the old days when we had blackface and could shoot a black man because he looked at you cockeyed. Move on.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 6th July 2019, 10:47 AM

The BCG imbalance is just Nature's way.

Nature's f***ed then. :(

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 5th July 2019, 4:16 PM

I used to frequent a Snooker forum and around 2006 it had a lot of female members.

Was the lack of balls a problem?

It's noticeable that nobody has yet come up with a list of women BCG members who, in recent times, have vanished without trace after having been active posters.

The only one mentioned so far in this thread is Old Lady Leg.

As much as her disappearance is to be regretted, the disappearance of one individual woman is hardly indicative of a problem that affects women BCG members in general.

Have there been many other such disappearances in recent times?

If not, it seems we are discussing a problem that we don't have.

If a place seems hostile to a certain type of person, they tend not to join. Mark intermated that 50% of the visitors are female. Also Paul aka Paulette hasn't posted since starting this thread. Maybe we should let this thread get buried, as it won't encourage certain new members.

Quote: Firkin @ 6th July 2019, 11:32 AM

If a place seems hostile to a certain type of person, they tend not to join.

That's a good point actually.

I won't bore everyone to death by quoting the numerous times I have praised women comedians on BCG but I would refer interested parties to the first post in my "Katherine Ryan" thread.

Having said that, I do readily (and somewhat regretfully) concede that I have upon occasion been critical of certain individual women comedians, particularly Hannah Gadsby.

Sorry Hannah, I do have respect for you as a comedy performer. You're a rare talent and well worth watching but I think even you yourself would admit you can come across a bit preachy when discussing the evils of men in our society. Nevertheless, great comedians can sometimes be preachy and I believe even the nice men in this not-always-nice world of ours have much to learn from what you say. Hug

Getting back to Firk's point, it's one that I myself shall be taking on board.

Quote: Firkin @ 6th July 2019, 11:32 AM

Also Paul aka Paulette hasn't posted since starting this thread.

Except:

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 6th July 2019, 11:13 AM

Was the lack of balls a problem?

Quote: chipolata @ 6th July 2019, 10:54 AM

It's old hat and not something anybody under the age of forty gives a toss about. Nothing makes us look like a bunch of old out-of-touch farts... Move on.

For the same reason perhaps we should also cut out discussions on Hancock's Half Hour, Morecambe & Wise, the Carry On films, Max Miller, etc, etc.

If someone's not interested in the subject of a particular thread, or in the way that it is progressing, then the best thing is not to read it. That's why the threads have titles. There are many threads that I have no interest in and so don't bother to read them.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 6th July 2019, 4:45 PM

For the same reason perhaps we should also cut out discussions on Hancock's Half Hour, Morecambe & Wise, the Carry On films, Max Miller, etc, etc.

I was going to say "wash your mouth out" then read the rest of your post. :D

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 5th July 2019, 6:54 AM

...do they decide this site isn't for them?

Any feedback on this? It's not as offensive as some other sites, yet it's a bit of a bachelor pad really.

Yes, a number have been in touch to say that they feel uncomfortable and driven away by certain members and/or behaviours.

As Mark says, this should be as open a place as possible. People get very passionate about comedy and it's fine to discuss your likes, dislikes and hates - but the wider demeanour of the message board should be welcoming and accepting.

Not sure that any message board is wholeheartedly accepting, Aaron?

Don't they still post about Newsjack? Not sure.