Just A Minute Page 3

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 27th June 2019, 10:40 PM

I would say he's definitely in the top 20, yes.

Absolutely. Very well read, witty, quick and perfect for this programme.

How about Jimmy Carr, Jim Davidson, Frankie Boyle and Dapper Laughs?

With that line-up, the life expectancy of the average listener from the moment he tuned in to the show would probably be "just a minute"! Laughing out loud

:|

Quote: Rood Eye @ 28th June 2019, 12:32 AM

How about Jimmy Carr, Jim Davidson, Frankie Boyle and Dapper Laughs?

With that line-up, the life expectancy of the average listener from the moment he tuned in to the show would probably be "just a minute"! Laughing out loud

Wow. That is the most offensive thing I've ever seen. For Dapper Laughs to be included in a list of comedians.

Oh! New CD out I see, I'll have some of that. 12 episodes! ...................................£25, er no thank you . I'll wait until someone gets bored with their copy and offers it up on eBay.

As reported elsewhere on this site, Sue Perkins to be the new host of Just A Minute

https://www.comedy.co.uk/radio/news/6460/sue-perkins-hosts-just-a-minute/

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 20th July 2019, 8:54 AM

Oh! New CD out I see, I'll have some of that. 12 episodes! ...................................£25, er no thank you . I'll wait until someone gets bored with their copy and offers it up on eBay.

Just bought, on eBay, Just a Classic Minute - Volume 2 CD 2 discs for £2.72 (4 programmes) and Just A Minute: The Classic Collection: for £9 (22 programmes), both post paid.

Can't wait to wallow. :D

Started to wallow with me new mint condition Classic Minute - Volume 2, and was pleasantly surprised that it was slightly different with NP giving a brief history of JAM, one fact of which I didn't realise, was that Nicholas hadn't been the chairman from the first episode.
Also, the format had slightly changed over the first few years as they played around with it - for example, there used to be only 3 panellists, had different chairmen**, often got the audience to decide, had odd rounds where they would introduce that you could also not use "the", "and" or "a", which did seem a bit daft as it slowed the whole thing down on the one I listened to; BUT what made it a bit of a mess was ** the one I listened to they had Kenneth Williams in the chair and Nicholas Parsons as one of the three panellists.
What a fiasco! Kenneth floundered a lot as he lost control of the game and made up rules as he went along, much to the frustration, and slight annoyance of Nicholas.

Thank Heavens they dropped all that and gave us the classic that it became.

Sue Perkins is playing it safe. Like Nicholas she's inoffensive, polite, likeable with an ego that won't get in the way but only mildly witty. I see Countdown have replaced a middle class 77 year old Caucasian with a middle class 76 year old Caucasian and are now hailing it as a massive diversity move. Super safe. :P

Although I quite like Superkins I wouldn't call her inoffensive.

I think Perkins is a good choice. You don't want the host to be too in your face and overshadow the contestants.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 22nd July 2021, 12:00 AM

Just bought, on eBay, Just a Classic Minute - Volume 2 CD 2 discs for £2.72 (4 programmes) and Just A Minute: The Classic Collection: for £9 (22 programmes), both post paid.

Can't wait to wallow. :D

The Classic Collection worth every penny....................(only minor problem, should you buy it) - there is an error in the listings, and this is confirmed online - Disc 1 and 3 are the other way round. Some twat can't do their job properly!

Series 87 started tonight, but I only listened to about 10 minutes of it, as the spark seems to have gone out of it sadly imo.

I disagree, Herc. I think it still works, and whatsherface did a good job of stepping into Parsons unique shoes. And at the end of the day it's a very good format that, providing it has some good people on the panel, can survive a lot.

OK, perhaps I'm being a bit hasty, but it makes me realise just how good Nicholas was in the chair. Perhaps she'll eventually make her mark on it, but she has VERY BIG shoes to fill - best of luck to her.