Just A Minute Page 2

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 29 2008, 11:59 AM BST

Is it just me or is Paul Merton increasingly much funnier on radio than on TV?

I think it is perhaps the fact that Merton was a massive fan of the show before he was famous. When he lived in a lonley bedsit, he used to record episodes of the show on audio casettes. They served as the main form of entertainment for him, because he did not have a TV set. So getting on the show was very much a "Dream come true" for him. It's pratically a second home for him.

I just got this email.

**** NEW RECORDING DATES ****

Recording on Monday 16th November, Friday 27th November and Friday 11th December. All 3 recordings will take place at the Radio Theatre, Broadcasting House.

Due to the popularity of this programme we will be operating a random draw for tickets, to make the process fairer.

The website registration opens Thursday 8th October at 4pm and closes on Thursday 15th October at 4pm. No requests will be accepted after this date and time.

Apply for a ticket online http://www.bbc.co.uk/tickets/

Visit http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/justaminute/

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 29 2008, 11:59 AM BST

Is it just me or is Paul Merton increasingly much funnier on radio than on TV?

Just A Minute has always been great value.

He seems to have a lot more time and enthusiasm for his radio appearances than the increasingly tired HIGNFY.

Well, that was a momentous occasion wasn't it? Just a Minute WITHOUT Nicholas Parsons! Very strange to hear somebody else in the chair. Has Parsons gotten some kind of world record/award for his chairmanship of JAM? If he hasn't then he bloomin well should have!

I really like Sarah Pascoe

But she isn't cut out for JAM

sounds like she's having a panic attack every round!

Just listened to the last episode of Series 83 (!) on Radio 4 extra - Gyles Brandreth, Jenny Eclair, Fern Briitton (why?) and Paul Merton. Very funny as always.

Just finished this week on R4+ :(

Very funny as usual and Zoe won! (Yes, OK why am I surprised - I'm not, it's just that it is usually one of the "regulars", before any of you PC Brigade kicks in)

Team were Tony Hawks, Cariad Lloyd, Zoe Lyons and Paul Merton.

My favourite (living) team would be Tony Hawks, Liza Tarbuck, Gyles Brandreth and Paul Merton - what would be yours?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 26th June 2019, 7:18 AM

Team were Tony Hawks, Cariad Lloyd, Zoe Lyons and Paul Merton.

My favourite (living) team would be Tony Hawks, Liza Tarbuck, Gyles Brandreth and Paul Merton - what would be yours?

In other words, more predictable names?

What about Paul Merton, Aimee McDonald, Henry Blofeld and Jo Brand?

I'm not a big fan but listened to it sometimes in the old days. Peter Jones and Kenneth Williams would always give me a laugh. Peter for his dry wit and Kenneth for his over the top camp.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 26th June 2019, 4:08 PM

Oh sorry, I didn't realise I had to ignore the ones I like best and just pick some random panelists. :P

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 26th June 2019, 4:08 PM

What about Paul Merton, Aimee McDonald, Henry Blofeld and Jo Brand?

That's like saying you fancy Manchester City to win the Premier League next season but that's too predictable so you're going to put your money on Brighton instead.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 26th June 2019, 7:18 AM

Definitely Paul Merton & Gyles Brandeth. Then probably Graham Norton and Julian Clary.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 27th June 2019, 9:22 AM

Definitely Paul Merton & Gyles Brandeth. Then probably Graham Norton and Julian Clary.

Yes, can't disagree with that team - so many great panelists. I do like Tony Hawks though and when he and Gyles Brandreth are on the same prog. It's superb as they were about 3 months ago. Laughing out loud

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 27th June 2019, 9:22 AM

That's like saying you fancy Manchester City to win the Premier League next season but that's too predictable so you're going to put your money on Brighton instead.

Do you think Gyles is Premier League?

I really enjoyed Clement Freud, but for living: Gyles, Norton, Clary and Susan Calman. My team's not in it to win it, is the comedy that matters. More a Newcastle United than Man City.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 27th June 2019, 1:25 PM

Do you think Gyles is Premier League?

Well, if you take any 92 previous panellists (ie omitting those of Conference & Isthmian League standard), I would say he's definitely in the top 20, yes.