Things that piss you off Page 1,760

What's borderline racism? If something's borderline racist, it's not racist.

Think about it: if you say something is almost racist, you automatically allow that other things are nearly almost racist, and by extension that other things are not far from being nearly almost racist . . . and so ad infinitum.

Can you imagine driving in your car at precisely 30 mph in a 30 mph speed limit and getting a ticket for borderline speeding? I'd be seriously pissed off by that and I know you would too.

So the next day, you slow down to 29 mph and you get a ticket for almost borderline speeding?

So the next day, you slow down to 28 mph and get a ticket for nearly almost borderline speeding?

Four weeks later, you're sitting in your living room with your car safely locked up in the garage and you get a ticket for nearly(x27) almost borderline speeding. Could that actually happen? Yes, it could in a world where some people's sole reason for getting up in the morning is to accuse other people of speeding.

You know I'm right! Laughing out loud

Borderline racist is a type of racist, Rood. I shouldn't need to point this out.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 25th June 2019, 10:37 PM

Borderline racist is a type of racist, Rood.

No, it isn't.

Borderline racism is an imaginary concept invented by the PC Brigade in order to describe as "racist" things that are not racist. The very use of the term "borderline" in that context is an admission by the user that he is fully aware that what he is saying is tantamount to a lie. If he believed the thing he was describing really was racist, he'd say it was racist.

There are many similar expressions in other walks of life. For example, if an estate agent describes the location of a property as "Belgravia borders", it means the property is NOT in Belgravia but he would absolutely love it to be there.

In short, when used as an adjective, "borderline" is a synonym for "not" and, when used with the intention of bringing disrepute and/or contempt upon someone/something, its use always tells you that the user regrets bitterly that the word following "borderline" does not apply to the thing he is talking about, even though he wishes with all his heart and all his soul that it did.

PS: I supported England in their recent World Cup match against Cameroon but for f**k's sake don't tell the PC Brigade! Laughing out loud

Quote: Rood Eye @ 25th June 2019, 10:57 PM

PS: I supported England in their recent World Cup match against Cameroon but for f**k's sake don't tell the PC Brigade! Laughing out loud

Laughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loud.........................................:|

Scene: a pharmacy counter

The pharmacist is serving a customer.

Above the pharmacist can be seen a sign "Chepstow Pharmacy"

Pharmacist: there you are, Mr Jones. That'll be £54 please.

Customer: what?

Pharmacist: six prescription items at £9 per item. That's £54.

Customer: no, you've got that completely wrong. Prescriptions are free in Wales.

Pharmacist: last week I would have agreed with you but I've been reading stuff by bloke called Paul Wimsett.

Customer: so?

Pharmacist: so this pharmacy, although in Wales, is only a stone's throw from England.

Customer: so?

Pharmacist: so this pharmacy is borderline English which means every prescription item is going to cost you £9. So that'll be £54, please.

Customer: but we're in Wales!

Pharmacist: I know we're in Wales but we're close to the English border, so we're in England. I shouldn't have to point that out.

Customer: this is a joke isn't it?

Pharmacist (laughing): of course it is! I've been reading the British Comedy Guide forums. Here's your medicine - absolutely no charge, mate!

Customer: is it any good, this British Comedy Guide?

Pharmacist: some bits are quite good but there's this one bloke whose absolutely bloody brilliant!

Customer: oh, tell me more!

FADE.

Laughing out loud

This would be a good argument if:

A) Racism was a physical entity with a border.

B) The whole of Wales effectively being in England since 1282 (hence why there is no dragons on the Union Jack).

If you are borderline racist you are racist by definition. Like if you are quite ill you are ill. Not offensive racist, but still racist.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 26th June 2019, 5:14 PM

If you're borderline racist you are racist by definition. Like if you are quite ill you are ill.

If you're quite ill, you are indeed ill.

Likewise, if you're quite racist, you are indeed racist.

However "borderline" and "quite" are not synonyms.

Ironically, they are, in fact, antonyms to the extent that "borderline" not only doesn't mean "quite": it actually means "not quite".

If we take the expression "not quite racist", it clearly means that what we're describing is not racist.

If that were not so, we wouldn't say "not quite racist", we'd say "racist".

You know it makes sense. Laughing out loud

Quote: Rood Eye @ 26th June 2019, 5:57 PM

If we take the expression "not quite racist", it clearly means that what we're describing is not racist.

No, it would just means the expression exists in a grey area. Believe it or not the world isn't always black and white.

Quote: chipolata @ 26th June 2019, 9:14 PM

No, it would just means the expression exists in a grey area. Believe it or not the world isn't always black and white.

I agree the world isn't always black and white: between those two extremes, there are often many shades of grey.

However, there are many adjectives which are binary and involve no shades of grey.

A woman is either pregnant or she isn't: to describe her as borderline pregnant would be absurd.

Similarly, a joke is either racist or it isn't.

You might describe a joke as "a little bit racist" in which case you mean it's by no means the worst racist joke you've ever heard but . . . it's racist.

You might describe another joke as "a teeny-weeny bit racist" in which case you mean it's not as bad as the one that is only "a little bit racist" but . . . it's racist.

Of course, a joke can be jam-packed with racial content and still not be racist but if the joke is in any way shape or form racist then . . . it's racist.

No matter which way you look at it, something is either racist or it isn't.

"Borderline racist" means "does not satisfy one or more conditions necessary for classification as racist" which means "not racist".

Rood if you're not one, then you're definitely qualified enough to help them out if they get mad busy :P

I think most people would agree that the term "borderline racist" means someone who has done or said something that shows they may hold views towards people that are considered discriminatory but without the element that crosses the line. Something like using the outdated and now inappropriate term "coloured" would be a good example of someone being borderline racist. There is also the argument that it's just a word they grew up with and has never had any offensive meaning attached so are they just guilty of not moving with the times?

In summary anyone fancy a pint?

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 26th June 2019, 10:53 PM

Rood if you're not one, then you're definitely qualified enough to help them out if they get mad busy :P

I'm always available to help my fellow man (or woman, or any other gender), Teddy.

Rood how did you know that 'Stock Answers' play havoc with the hairs on the back of my neck ?

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 26th June 2019, 11:03 PM

. . . but without the element that crosses the line.

And that's what defines racism - the crossing of the line.

There's a line between England and Wales, just as there's a line between England and Scotland.

You can start from any point in England and travel towards one of those lines but, until you've crossed the line, you are NOT in the other country - no matter how close you may be to that line.

It's the same with racism.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 26th June 2019, 11:10 PM

Rood how did you know that 'Stock Answers' play havoc with the hairs on the back of my neck ?

I have only three types of answer, Teddy: the Stock ones, the Aitken ones and the Waterman ones.

I had a good think about you and I picked a Stock one.

I immediately wondered whether or not I'd chosen the right type of answer.

Doubting myself, I shook my head and thought, "I should be so lucky!".

Rood I like the way you can change your tunes :)