Dan's Script editing Page 3

Back on topic, I've had notes from Dan on a few scripts I've written and they've been excellent.

He also offers advice on sorting your taxes for the freelance writer...this is less good. Still, I'm hoping to turn my prison experience into a sitcom and will be turning to Dan for notes!

Bugger that for a laugh.

Why would anyone mention taxes before January 30th? Angry

Dan has given me some incredibly inciteful feedback on my sitcom mission script, he really understood the characters and delved deeply into exactly what each character wants. He also offered lots of suggestions where things weren't working or how I could improve on what was already ok but needed a bit more to make it a bigger laugh; and he gave me a much appreciated thumbs up on the bits he did actually find funny!

I highly recommend Dan, he can see things in your script that you probably won't see yourself.

Thank you Dan! :D

update....

After doing the re-writes, Dan has now re-read my script and come back with more ways to improve, and I'm re-writing again with lots of enthusiasm.

I'm fairly new to writing - started a year ago now - and the comments and feedback have been invaluable. I highly recommend Dan, his suggestions were all very constructive and led me to think up all sorts of other possibilities.

I am planning to enter my sitcom into the Sitcom Mission (15 min version) and Writersroom (30 min version). The odds are very small but I am happy with the characters and the experience has been very enjoyable.

Thanks Dan. :D

Quote: Bonzo @ 22nd March 2014, 6:00 PM GMT

I am planning to enter my sitcom into the Sitcom Mission (15 min version) and Writersroom (30 min version).

Maybe sub the latter version to an indie producer as well? As you're doing two things anyway?

Thanks! I had found one that accepts unsolicited scripts so might do that later on.

Quote: T.W. @ 28th December 2013, 10:19 PM GMT

I'm not being supercilious - sorry if it came across that way. I'm just more comfortable with writers writing than not writing. I'd hate to think of these guys spending more time polishing turds than pursuing their dreams. Call me an idealist if you want, but we all have but a dismally limited time upon this annoying little disappointing planet...

I don't get this. They've gotta put food on the table (I assume, at present, their 'dreams' can't yet do this).

It seems to make more sense to do something loosely-connected with their 'dreams', which has a better time:income ratio than working behind a till in Superdrug, or whatever.

Plus, they don't have to wake up 6:30am, in order to have some imbecile tell them what to do all-day. They can be paid in cash too.

It's win-win, until such a time when success makes their time sufficiently-valuable that scripting editing becomes an inefficient income source.

Just wanted to throw in my two'penneth.

I've been working on a sitcom script on and off, mostly off, for a couple of years and was going round in circles with it. To try and kick start it again I asked Dan to have a read.

His comments and ideas have pointed out a number of problems/missed opportunities and also highlighted what he thought I had right or worked well.

Well worth the (meagre) outlay, I'd absolutely recommend it.

steve

Just bumping this in case anyone wants some script editing doing in the run-up to the Sitcom Mission starting.

Happy to help!

Dan

Dan has looked at a few of my scripts in the past and I've always appreciated his input. He really knows his onions and also makes you feel good about your work.

Its just a pity I didn't get my latest script to him before he started charging! :P Cool

Quote: Deferenz @ 31st March 2015, 1:44 PM BST

He really knows his onions and also makes you feel good about your work.

I'm planning to market myself as a complete bastard who does everything they can to get your script broadcast! Angry

Just bumping this if anyone needs some sort of script notes/critique/script editing doing after the recent BBC Writers' Room Comedy Window closed. You probably won't get detailed notes on your sitcom from them (unless you do really well), but I'm available should anyone want one.

http://www.dansweryt.com/script-editingstand-up-material.html

Cheers

Dan

Bumping this to get a discount from Dan.