Please become a BCG Supporter Page 5

Forgot to mention - very nice pin.

Thank to everyone who has become a Supporter so far! We love you. We've just sent our monthly Supporters' email newsletter, revealing what we've been spending your donations on (please email us if you don't get a copy).

For anyone reading this who isn't a BCG Supporter, if you can afford to donate £1 or more, please consider becoming one. We're spending every penny on making this site bigger and better and to support British comedy. Here's just some of the things we've been able to do since we launched Supporters a couple of months ago, thanks to the donations...

1. We have now acquired a substantial set of ITV archive documentation and associated materials, spanning several decades. This will play a vital part in our ongoing research to provide a comprehensive history of British TV comedy. Separately, the donations allowed us to travel to The London Studios, where we rescued a large quantity of materials from the London Weekend Television archive, which we're now storing ourselves.

2. We've been able to create new filters and search tools on our database lists and schedule pages.

3. We've launched the new British Comedy Quiz feature which you might have seen - a fresh range of questions go live each Wednesday.

4. Our new poll software is now finished. Look out for 'The Big Question' each Monday from next week.

5. We've begun work on developing another interview column. We hope to be in a position to publish a new piece every Tuesday from the end of June.

6. We've also commissioned some great new graphics for the site from independent British designers. Some will be seen regularly and others are a bit special. Keep an eye out for them over the coming year.

7. Your donations are also helping us smooth our workload and improve administration and planning, with better tools and more collaboration with our contributors.

One of the key things we'd like to do next is to commission a range of long-read articles on a variety of topics. We'd like to cover both contemporary comedy and the sitcoms and stars of yesteryear, but with such features requiring hours of writing, editing and research, we can't ask people to do it for free. Can you help by becoming a Supporter?

To say thanks for your donation, we've got various perks to offer. The list keeps growing. More info here: https://www.comedy.co.uk/donate/

I did try a few weeks back but it wouldn't work. I pay through PayPal because it's all set up and easier but it didn't like it anytime I tried. I'll try the visa card if I can scare the moths away. Angry

Thanks Alfred, that'd be really appreciated. I think there was an intermittent PayPal issue affecting a few people initially, but most donors now are paying by it so you shouldn't have any problems. :-)

Visa, of course, is even better - and we get even more of what you give. (PayPal have an additional processing fee.)

Just signed up, looking forward to going through the archived material!

OK, I know I've come late to the party, but am surprised how many "regulars" are still not "supporters" and given the number of complaints about the slowness of the site and Mark & Aaron's appeal for more funds to buy a software upgrade - we (that's the Royal we) need more members!

You don't have to commit to a regular amount - a one off of say £30 or whatever you can afford will be great...............and apart from the "extras" you get a lovely badge - it's the talk of the old people's home for me as I flash it on my blazer lapel. :D

Flashing in the old people's home again, Herc? Remember what the magistrate said last time.

If it makes the old dears smile, that's all I ask.

Thanks Herc, really appreciate your words and support. It is indeed really important to support if you can: you're not so much supporting us directly, as assisting in celebrating and championing British comedy past, present and future. Every penny really is a huge help in keeping British Comedy Guide running.

So come on lads and lasses - cough up and WE ALL can benefit. :D

...............by the way Aaron, where's that twenty quid you and Mark promised me ?

I haven't claimed the famous pin because Australia Post would probably lose it and
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!

I haven't even claimed the supporter thing that pleases Herc so much.

Quote: john tregorran @ 20th June 2019, 9:11 PM

I haven't claimed the famous pin because Australia Post would probably lose it and
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!

Ha! Just for the record John, we are very happy to post a badge to Australia and gamble with your postage system in the process. We're keen to say thank you to kind people like yourself!

I just noticed a charge on my credit card bill the other day. HOW MUCH??????

Quote: Chappers @ 24th June 2019, 10:06 PM

I just noticed a charge on my credit card bill the other day. HOW MUCH??????

You can set your own donation amount Chappers, from £1. If you think you've accidentally set too high an amount do get in touch by email and we can sort that out :)