I'm All Right Jack

One of the greatest British comedy films ever made.

So many great comedy actors. Peter Sellers, absolutely superb of course. The wonderful Irene Handl. The creepy, oily Dennis Price. And Terry-Thomas saying his classic "Absolute shower" etc. etc. etc.

Anyway, watched tonight the recording I made off the TV from Talking Pictures (saves me trying to find the DVD) and in a similar vein to the Arthur Askey "I Thank You" censorship, I was bemused at them blurring out the ladies bottoms in the nudist colony, at the end of the film.

SHOCK! HORROR! PROBE! Whatever next......................... pathetic, on their part.

I don't remember that. It's a marvellous film. Stanley and his conniving uncle appear in Private's Progress too, I think.

Yes, virtually the same crew including the ubiquitous and lovely Miles Malleson as Windrush Snr., along with the superb Peter Jones AND those four (Thomas, Carmichael, Price and Jones) appeared together in the brilliant School For Scoundrels made about the same time with one of my all time favourite comedy actors, the wonderful Alastair Sim. I seem to remember that Irene Handl and John Le Mes. were in it too.

There were some absolute classic British comedy films made about that time.

If you were referring to the ladies bottoms that you don't remember - it was the very last scene in the nudist colony when finally Windrush Jnr was sitting at the table with Windrush Snr, who was shelling peas again, exactly as it was at the beginning of the film, except that this time Jnr. (Carmichael) was also nude and when Snr. (Malleson) persuaded the ladies to join him in a game of tennis and he refused, they chased him through the nudist camp..............with blurred bottoms, according to Talking Pictures. Angry

School For Scoundrels was on BBC Two one afternoon last week, as were The Man In The White Suit, The Titfield Thunderbolt, The Lavender Hill Mob, Whisky Galore! & Lucky Jim. Still available on iPlayer.

Remember these films are all about Labour values!

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 20th June 2019, 8:47 AM

Remember these films are all about Labour values!

Yes, I also seem to remember there was some question at the time as to whether the (film?) unions would allow IARJ to released, let alone be made.

Insidious capitalist propaganda!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 20th June 2019, 6:31 AM

If you were referring to the ladies bottoms that you don't remember - it was the very last scene in the nudist colony when finally Windrush Jnr was sitting at the table with Windrush Snr, who was shelling peas again, exactly as it was at the beginning of the film, except that this time Jnr. (Carmichael) was also nude and when Snr. (Malleson) persuaded the ladies to join him in a game of tennis and he refused, they chased him through the nudist camp..............with blurred bottoms, according to Talking Pictures. Angry

Right thanks.

There were so many people who could act comedy and the serious stuff too. John Mills is another that comes to mind. I don't watch new films so there may be actors today who are as versatile, I don't know.

John Mills - wonderful actor. Cannot think of a film my wife and I have not enjoyed with him in.

And no one has mentioned Richard Attenborough yet.
Not a comedy as such but his RSM Lauderdale in Guns at Batasi cracks me up ever time.

Yes, another fine actor, but I never see him as a comedy actor, more along the lines of John Mills. Attenborough was absolutely superb in "Brighton Rock" as Pinkie - so menacing and knocked spots off the remake.................that I remember little of now or who played this main character.

** 7.10 am EDIT As if to make a point - just posted about a Network ("hilarious" comedy) box-set that has one film on it "Father's Doing Fine" where Richard Attenborough was the father in question, and I have to say neither he or the film was remotely funny, let alone hilarious.

Attenborough was at one point considered for the Peter Sellers role in The Ladykillers. I think they went with the right choice.

Quote: chipolata @ 21st June 2019, 9:29 PM

Attenborough was at one point considered for the Peter Sellers role in The Ladykillers. I think they went with the right choice.

And Alastair Sim was first choice ahead of Alec Guinness I believe and seem to remember an interview with AG where he said he based the character on how he thought AS would play it, which sounds/looks about right. Either would have been good in that part of the gang leader.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 20th June 2019, 12:27 AM

One of the greatest British comedy films ever made.

The greatest imo. There isn't a bum note in it, the cast is incredible, the script is a cracker, the plot is so busy and twisty you can't make a cup of tea without missing something vital and the satire is the best sending up of the British class system at work and the conflict between the workers and the bosses on film. Then Sellers in that extraordinary caricature of an uptight shop steward full of inverted snobbery and pride. Magnif.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 23rd June 2019, 9:02 AM

Then Sellers in that extraordinary caricature of an uptight shop steward full of inverted snobbery and pride. Magnif.

The man was a comic genius. Acting and line delivery.....................

"All them cornfields and ballet in the evening" Laughing out loud

**EDIT - Just noticed this goes well with the header photo................ :D