Tory leadership Page 3

Quote: Briosaid @ 16th June 2019, 8:42 PM

What about Rory Stewart? Anybody think he's in with a shout? He does seem to have a brain and some humanity.

He's not a Bexit mentalist, so, no.
Sadly.

Quote: Briosaid @ 16th June 2019, 8:42 PM

What about Rory Stewart? Anybody think he's in with a shout? He does seem to have a brain and some humanity.

He is second favourite with most bookmakers (Jeremy Hunt remains second favourite with a few).

Bet365 go 1/7 Johnson, 9/1 Stewart, 16/1 Hunt, 25/1 Gove, 50/1 Raab & Javid.

"The minute Boris Johnson becomes prime minister. I'm leaving the country," said Yasmin Alibhai-Brown, a journalist and author who describes herself as "a leftie liberal, anti-racist, feminist Muslim" in a newspaper article a short while ago.

Tick - tock - tick - tock. Laughing out loud

Quote: Rood Eye @ 16th June 2019, 10:53 PM

"The minute Boris Johnson becomes prime minister. I'm leaving the country," said Yasmin Alibhai-Brown, a journalist and author who describes herself as "a leftie liberal, anti-racist, feminist Muslim" in a newspaper article a short while ago.

Tick - tock - tick - tock. Laughing out loud

Isn't there some kind of contradiction there? Feminist Muslim?

Mark Steel wins twitter:

https://twitter.com/mrmarksteel/status/1140906598317068289

Boris is home and dry, surely?

One thing's for certain: life with Boris at Number 10 is never going to be dull.

It's like having Donald Trump at the White House: it's a feast of entertainment.

Quote: Tursiops @ 18th June 2019, 12:23 PM

Mark Steel wins twitter:

Not amusing, not at all insightful and certainly not politically astute.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 18th June 2019, 2:24 PM

You can argue about the first two but it is by some distance the most politically astute analysis of the contest I have seen anywhere.

Quote: Tursiops @ 18th June 2019, 12:23 PM

Mark Steel wins twitter:

I think Mark Steel has summed up a complicated situation with remarkable efficiency and no little aplomb.

I'm quite sure that if his sentiments were repeated verbatim during a stand-up comedy set, he'd get a huge round of applause.

His continual repetition of the c-word may offend some sensitive readers and/or listeners but it should be borne in mind that the word was some time ago demoted from its historic position as the most offensive word in the English language.

So enormous is the gap between the c-word and its successor that you'd need the Hubble telescope to see one of them if you were standing adjacent to the other.

The effect of its catastrophic demotion in the obscenity rankings is that the once-unspeakable c-word has become relatively mild and is now almost the go-to noun when seeking to describe an unpleasant person.

As Bob Dylan said at the beginning of the century, things have changed.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 18th June 2019, 2:24 PM

Considering that "politically" is an adjective related to power and it concerns the Tory party you could be right here...

Last week a radio presenter accidentally called Jeremy Hunt, Jeremy C**t

Must be catching

This morning another radio presenter accidentally called Boris Johnson - Boris f**k face fat gormless c**tbag-son

I got him confused with Mark Thomas and was shocked Mark Thomas would post something like that until I realised Mark Steel isn't Mark Thomas. Phew. Why do people post stuff like that for the world to see? I don't know Twitter that well but I assume all of his followers can see that regardless of age so children can see it. For profanity to be effective in comedy it needs to be used sparingly, like salt.

Watching the so-called debate and wanting to stab 4 of the 5 contestants. Boris would merit a particularly large knife.

And I loathe Michael Gove.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 18th June 2019, 7:28 PM

For profanity to be effective in comedy it needs to be used sparingly, like salt.

I now know where I've been going wrong!

When it comes to the comparable uses of profanity and salt, I tend to treat an audience like a pensioner treats a frozen doorstep.

Laughing out loud

As for Jeremy H (?) Unt!

Where's the nearest lamp post?