Tory leadership Page 2

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 13th June 2019, 10:04 AM

"What would Harold Macmillan do?"

Knowing Harold, he'd probably be out and about looking for Russian prisoners of war still in hiding after the end of World War II, in the hope of adding them to the thousands he had already forcibly repatriated to Russia in the sure and certain knowledge that they were immediately upon arrival to be slaughtered (or worse!) at the hands of Stalin.

At the end of the war, when told they were going to be repatriated, it was not uncommon for Russian POWs to attempt to throw themselves onto the bayonets of their British guards in order to avoid the fate arranged for them by Harold Macmillan.

The blue haired babes love Boris , if he offered to strip for page 3 of the Daily Mail they could shut the competition down early as it would be all over.
Lets hope so as the sooner we get to talking about Boris on his own with his policies the better as I for one am intrigued as to how he play his cards knowing how polarised things are.

I think Boris is fooling almost everybody with his bumbling, stumbling approach to public life.

Once he gets into power as prime minister, I think the real Boris might emerge to surprises us all.

He clearly isn't everybody's choice for prime minister but, when you look at the rest of the candidates, he may very well be the least of a great many evils.

I just wish Sooty was running for leadership. Boris tends to leave policy to his team whilst he does all the glittery high wire stuff. Sooty would do the same, only with no danger of affairs, drugs or saying the Turkish prime minister shags goats. Bonus :)

Tory leadership first round result:
• Boris Johnson 114
• Jeremy Hunt 43
• Michael Gove 37
• Dominic Raab 27
• Sajid Javid 23
• Matt Hancock 20
• Rory Stewart 19

Eliminated:
• Mark Harper
• Andrea Leadsom
• Esther McVey

Quote: Rood Eye @ 13th June 2019, 10:42 AM

Knowing Harold...

Mr Macmillan please. The decline in politics, and indeed society in general, surely dates back to when people started using the Christian names of those, particularly those in senior positions, to whom one had never been formally introduced.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 13th June 2019, 10:42 AM

...he'd probably be out and about
looking for Russian prisoners of war still in hiding after the end of World War II, in the hope of adding them to the thousands he had already forcibly repatriated to Russia in the sure and certain knowledge that they were immediately upon arrival to be slaughtered (or worse!) at the hands of Stalin.

At the end of the war, when told they were going to be repatriated, it was not uncommon for Russian POWs to attempt to throw themselves onto the bayonets of their British guards in order to avoid the fate arranged for them by Harold Macmillan.

A somewhat disingenuous view of Mr Macmillan's role in the matter, which was to oversee the implementation of the agreement reached at Yalta between Churchill, Roosevelt & Stalin. These were prisoners of war, who had been fighting for the Germans, the repatriation of whom allowed the simultaneous release of Russian held British POWs. I don't suppose they & their families objected to the process. And, of course, it's all very well, with the benefit of 75 years' hindsight, to suggest that slaughter at the hands of Stalin was "certain knowledge". There is no evidence that that was "certain knowledge" at the time.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 13th June 2019, 4:55 PM

A somewhat disingenuous view of Mr Macmillan's role in the matter, which was to oversee the implementation of the agreement reached at Yalta between Churchill, Roosevelt & Stalin. These were prisoners of war, who had been fighting for the Germans, the repatriation of whom allowed the simultaneous release of Russian held British POWs. I don't suppose they & their families objected to the process. And, of course, it's all very well, with the benefit of 75 years' hindsight, to suggest that slaughter at the hands of Stalin was "certain knowledge". There is no evidence that that was "certain knowledge" at the time.

It's rather misleading to say that the Russian POWs had been fighting for the Germans. As the German army advanced on Moscow, countless Russians fled joyfully into the Germans' hands believing themselves to have been liberated from Stalin's oppression.

The British decision to forcibly repatriate the Russians was made before Stalin even mentioned the idea of repatriation.

However, as soon as repatriation was announced, Russian POWs began committing suicide rather than be returned to their homeland. The Americans have film of a Russian soldier stabbing himself repeatedly rather than be taken into custody by the Russians.

The first shipload of returned Russians were dealt with either by mass execution or by exile to forced labour camps: eyewitness reports and other reliable reports of these atrocities reached Britain in plenty of time for subsequent transports to be cancelled. The repatriation nevertheless continued unabated.

The USA said, quite correctly, that all Russians captured in uniform were protected by the Geneva Convention and could not be repatriated against their will. Unfortunately, the Americans' words fell on deaf British ears.

Hitler gets a lot of stick for his inhumanity to man - and quite rightly so, but history is as ever written by the victors and so British war crimes (and post-war crimes) tend not to feature in our school curricula.

Quote: Briosaid @ 12th June 2019, 9:01 PM

B for Boris, B for Brainless Bastard

I'm sure you'd prefer Gove. He looks good in a kilt don't you agree?

Quote: Chappers @ 13th June 2019, 10:39 PM

I'm sure you'd prefer Gove. He looks good in a kilt don't you agree?

As a ventriloquist's dummy might say, "G for Gove, G for Grainless Gastard"

Quote: Rood Eye @ 13th June 2019, 10:46 PM

Yes.

We've just had a leadership thing for the Australian Labor Party.
Except no one wanted it.I think the one left with no chair when the music stopped, got it.
Perhaps they should try that in the UK

Quote: Rood Eye @ 13th June 2019, 10:46 PM

Is he spelling GG? Very gatriotic.

What about Rory Stewart? Anybody think he's in with a shout? He does seem to have a brain and some humanity.

Quote: Briosaid @ 16th June 2019, 8:42 PM

What about Rory Stewart? Anybody think he's in with a shout? He does seem to have a brain and some humanity.

Does that come from having opium?

Quote: Briosaid @ 16th June 2019, 8:42 PM

He seems to be a decent enough bloke (for a Tory) but the snag is he looks like a schoolboy and has all the gravitas normally associated with same.

I think he might well be an illegal immigrant who, instead of pretending to be half his real age, is pretending to be three times his real age.

Despite all Boris's faults, he is possessed of two spectacular advantages over his opponents: firstly, he's not Jeremy Corbyn and secondly, he's not any of the other contenders for the Tory leadership.