Gender equality in education.

In years gone by, university education was very much a "boy thing" and I believe that only 30 years ago Cambridge had a (very low) limit on the number of female students it was prepared to accept.

Today, however education for girls is pretty much on a par with that for boys but, strangely, we still retain traditional masculine titles for university degrees.

Surely, in this age of enlightenment, if a schoolgirl progresses to university she should start a Spinster's degree, followed possibly by a Mistress's degree and thereafter if she's very clever, even a Nurse of Philosophy degree.

Sorority, equality, liberty!

Quote: Rood Eye @ 13th June 2019, 11:07 AM

In years gone by, university education was very much a "boy thing" and I believe that only 30 years ago Cambridge had a (very low) limit on the number of female students it was prepared to accept.

Today, however education for girls is pretty much on a par with that for boys but, strangely, we still retain traditional masculine titles for university degrees.

Surely, in this age of enlightenment, if a schoolgirl progresses to university she should start a Spinster's degree, followed possibly by a Mistress's degree and thereafter if she's very clever, even a Nurse of Philosophy degree.

Sorority, equality, liberty!

Mainly I think these suggestions are shite. I have absolutely no trouble in being described as a Master of Arts (Glasgow University 1966).. Why make different titles? It would hark back to olden times when the females were described as less than the men. Instead of increaseing the differences , we shoukd be including them in the same band,

You do know that a female doctor is called, and in fact, is, a doctor?
Just checking.

Quote: Lazzard @ 13th June 2019, 8:50 PM

You do know that a female doctor is called, and in fact, is, a doctor?
Just checking.

Bloody Hell! I've just googled it and you're absolutely right!

I'm now faced with a choice between deleting the end part of that sentence or trying to convince the BCG audience that I was employing a comedic technique known as "violation of expectation" and that the entire posting was, in fact, simply a launchpad for that very joke.

No, it's no good: they'd never buy that. :(

Quote: Briosaid @ 13th June 2019, 8:30 PM

Mainly I think these suggestions are shite. I have absolutely no trouble in being described as a Master of Arts (Glasgow University 1966).. Why make different titles? It would hark back to olden times when the females were described as less than the men. Instead of increaseing the differences , we shoukd be including them in the same band,

You've got a Masters with spelling like that?

This thread will change everything.