Year Of The Rabbit - Series 1

Anybody catch this? I was really looking forward to this then forgot about it. But I love Matt Berry so I have high hopes.

I loved it. Very funny, and gorgeously shot.
And the perfect amount of swearing.

More Keeley Hawes in second ep?

I watched it today. Looks promising.

First episode you mean, Will?

Yep, first episode,

When I turned this on, I thought for one awful moment I'd accidentally clicked on an episode of "Ghosts".

Although there are distinct similarities (you know what I'm talking about: old-fashioned costumes and all that), I nevertheless persevered.

If "Toast of London" is a meal at The Ivy, I think we might safely say "Year of the Rabbit" is fish and chips wrapped in newspaper.

That's not to say it's unpalatable, of course. It's very funny in parts and quite funny in other parts.

I'm not quite sure what sort of TV viewer it's aimed at: I'm sure teenagers will love the crude language and the violence but more mature viewers may well wonder whether there needs to be quite so much of either.

All in all, however, it's not bad and it could certainly be a lot worse.

PS. Hasn't BCG been dreadfully quiet in the last couple of days?

Load of old squit IMO: unfunny and needlessly sweary!

Is squit worse than shit or as bad as?

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 12th June 2019, 7:17 AM

Is squit worse than shit or as bad as?

As a lover of words and their meanings, I think that's an excellent question - the answer to which is, I suggest, that, depending on the circumstances, it might be worse, as bad as, or not as bad.

The physical difference is, of course, that the former is significantly less substantial in form than the latter.

That being the case, when it comes to diagnostics, it suggests that something is amiss with the person who has delivered it into the world.

In employing the metaphor to describe "Year of the Rabbit", I suspect gb901 is suggesting that it is essentially a crap sitcom that merits no meaningful discussion among discerning viewers and/or comedy aficionados. I suspect he is also suggesting that the writers probably can, and hopefully will, do better with subsequent efforts.

Paul's question, like all great questions, does not lend itself to being answered with a simple "yes" or "no".

I suspect that different viewers and critics will take different views about whether to describe it as "squit" is worse, as bad as, or not as bad as describing it as "shit".

I do feel, however, that the use of the chosen word rather than its alternative is a more damning indictment of the writers.

From the writers' perspective, therefore, it should be considered "worse".

I've only seen the ten minutes excerpt, but I have the uneasy suspicion that Matt Berry's spreading himself a little too thinly lately. It has the magnificent Paul Kaye, though.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 11th June 2019, 4:04 PM

First episode you mean, Will?

You can actually watch the second episode I think although I haven't yet done so.

I thought it was great and you had to laugh at the swearing.

Quote: beaky @ 12th June 2019, 9:36 AM

I've only seen the ten minutes excerpt, but I have the uneasy suspicion that Matt Berry's spreading himself a little too thinly lately. It has the magnificent Paul Kaye, though.

First thing I've seen Matt in for ages.

I thought that was Paul Kaye who was recently a vicar in Cold Feet.

What we do in the shadows is much superior in addition to being funnier!

Quote: zooo @ 11th June 2019, 1:49 PM

I loved it. Very funny, and gorgeously shot.
And the perfect amount of swearing.

Agree 100% and didn't think the swearing was excessive. Not a big fan of Matt Berry, but liked him in this.

Quote: beaky @ 12th June 2019, 9:36 AM

Yes, I worry a little about Matt's ubiquity.
Mainly because - as much as I love him - he's becoming a bit of a one-trick pony.
Despite the prosthetics and accent the same MB "schtick" - as evidenced in Toast, Shadows & House of Fools before that - comes through load and clear.
It still makes me laugh - but I'd love him to move on.