Monkey Dust

So I just searched Monkey Dust on this fine website here, and there was only one thread in the Shop Merchandise category. The last post was from 2012...I posted my love for the show there, but this needs to be in the Sketch Show category yesterday.

And I just joined this website! That is some real weak sauce ladies and gentlemen. I thought this was a British comedy forum, full of British comedy fans. How could one (if not the) best sketch shows ever not even have the slightest of mentions since 2012?!?! It should have way more love than what is currently shown. Makes me kinda sad actually.

Watching this late at night when I was a kid made me want to get into comedy. My whole writing style is based about this show. As I've got older I've found some of the sketches to be less funny and too of its time, but the classics are better than ever. Timmy and his Dad will forever live on in my heart as the best recurring sketch on the show, but you have Clive and his wife, The powerful ad exec, the Paedofinder general, the rubbish terrorists, the Irish Anne Frank movie, the first time cottager and so many more amazing sketches.

Shame the Beeb aren't daring enough to make a show like this anymore...

If you haven't checked it out yet, however you can do it I suggest you do so with haste.

I loved this show! Completely share your thoughts. I don't think it was ever repeated over the years, not sure what critical reception was like. I honestly have no idea why it's mostly forgotten. I used to have the DVDs but once they were scratched you have to mess about with streaming sites. Was such a good show though.

Quote: HRG @ 2nd June 2019, 6:28 AM

I loved this show! Completely share your thoughts. I don't think it was ever repeated over the years, not sure what critical reception was like. I honestly have no idea why it's mostly forgotten. I used to have the DVDs but once they were scratched you have to mess about with streaming sites. Was such a good show though.

From what I can tell it was mostly received fairly well, though interestingly Charlie Brooker didn't seem to like it. It was always going to be a cult hit, and being on BBC Three (particularly in the days of wall-to-wall Two Pints repeats) gave it a harder life. A lot of comedy nerds who should know better ignore a lot of great stuff from the channel for some really petty reasons.

Quote: Charlie Brooker

Monkey Dust (a disappointing, self-consciously 'dark' cartoon sketch show)

It's a sad state of affairs when one-joke series like this and Monkey Dust get hailed as 'comic genius' simply on account of feeling vaguely 'new' (as opposed to, y'know, 'funny')

I was no fanatic of the show, but when I saw it, I usually enjoyed it. Not sure you could get away with this series nowadays.

Quote: jsg @ 10th June 2019, 7:49 PM

From what I can tell it was mostly received fairly well, though interestingly Charlie Brooker didn't seem to like it. It was always going to be a cult hit, and being on BBC Three (particularly in the days of wall-to-wall Two Pints repeats) gave it a harder life. A lot of comedy nerds who should know better ignore a lot of great stuff from the channel for some really petty reasons.

That's a shame Charlie Brooker didn't like. Thought it would be something he'd championed but hey I bet he had his reasons for not liking it. I kinda get where he's coming from with the "one-joke series" line, but isn't that what a lot of sketch shows are? Recurring characters and gags that follow the same lines as before?

Quote: Doniedaff @ 22nd June 2019, 10:42 AM

I was no fanatic of the show, but when I saw it, I usually enjoyed it. Not sure you could get away with this series nowadays.

I very much doubt you can now too, which actually makes me real sad