"Gentleman Jack" comes again!

The BBC has announced that "Gentleman Jack", in which Suranne Jones plays Anne Lister (the first modern lesbian), is to return for a second series.

The news comes only four days after the first episode of series 1 was broadcast.

Who would have guessed that it would be recommissioned so quickly? Laughing out loud

We watched it, but if It's only going to be about all her lovers I won't be interested.

I binged on all four episodes, and absolutely loved it. Anne Lister is a simply superb character, and has the audience rooting for her even at her most outrageous. Can't wait for the second series!

Again with the chat up lines, Rood.

I've just watched episode one on iPlayer and it's quality stuff.

Quality writer, quality cast, and an all-round visual treat.

My only complaint is that, as soon as it had finished, there was an announcement on screen that I was about to be connected to episode four of "Ghosts"!

The high-tech snooping bastards obviously know that I've recently checked out episode three (in order to confirm something I'd written on the "Ghosts" thread) and they've assumed I like it!

Oh well, their heart's in the right place I suppose. Laughing out loud

I've tried the whiskey when it was on offer and it's nice but wouldn't pay full whack for it. For that price range I would prefer a scotch.

Episode two was even better than the very good episode one, and by some considerable margin.

This is the BBC at its brilliant best!

Quote: Rood Eye @ 27th May 2019, 2:25 PM

Episode two was even better than the very good episode one, and by some considerable margin.

This is the BBC at its brilliant best!

It's times like this you don't mind paying your licence fee.

Episode three was another cracker, this time directed by Sarah Harding rather than Sally Wainwright who directed the first two episodes.

The bit that I thought especially delightful was when Anne (Lister) was trying to get the knickers off Ann (Walker) and Ann asked Anne (I know! It's as confusing as an argumentative BCG thread!) if she'd done this sort of thing before. Anne said she hadn't and her eyes immediately flicked conspiratorially at the camera. Ann immediately asked her, "What are you looking at?"

I know that's been done on "Fleabag" and elsewhere but I've never in my life seen it done as well or as appropriately or as beautifully.

When Fleabag does it, it's just Phoebe Waller-Bridge following directions in the script. When Anne Lister does it, it's your best friend confirming in a fraction of a second the essential closeness that exists between you. Everything she knows, she wants you to know. Everything she feels, she wants you to feel.

I don't know whether that was Sarah Harding's idea or Sally Wainwright's but it was, in any event, simply sublime television.

And what a pigs dinner.

Quote: Chappers @ 3rd June 2019, 10:04 PM

And what a pigs dinner.

The subplots are a bit weird!

At least it's set in the country and involves animals. Emmerdale could take note.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 4th June 2019, 8:08 AM

At least it's set in the country and involves animals. Emmerdale could take note.

Haven't they done a lesbian story then?