Obscure sitcom facts Page 8

Jumbo Whiffy in Filthy Rich and Catflap was based on Jimmy Savile. I don't know why that makes me laugh like a retard.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 30th May 2019, 3:46 PM

Jumbo Whiffy in Filthy Rich and Catflap was based on Jimmy Savile.

Are you sure?

The character of "Jumbo Whiffy" was the BBC's Head of Nice Entertainment and was a morbidly obese, slovenly Australian (?) played by Mel Smith.

All in all, he seemed a far cry from Sir James.

More like Sir Les Patterson if you ask me! Laughing out loud

I can't find it now, but Benji said in an interview (before the scandals came out) that he was a young man and couldn't contradict this BBC giant Savile, but he had a really weird, mega-sexual way of expressing himself. The basis of Jumbo.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 22nd September 2018, 8:07 PM

In "Only Fools and Horses", Trigger's real name (in the show) is Colin Ball.

Blimey - now that IS an obscure one :-) Top triv!

Quote: John M @ 29th September 2018, 8:42 PM

In Porridge, although nicknamed Lukewarm, Christopher Biggins' character was actually called Lewis - mentioned very briefly in the 'Just Desserts' episode.

Yeah, I noticed that, though his name is apparently revealed as 'Timothy Underwood' in Life Beyond the Box: Norman Stanley Fletcher :

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0408992/

I'd say that 'Whoever' Lewis should be considered correct / properly canonical. Makes more sense as an alliterative nickname too: "Oi, oi, here comes Lukewarm Lewis".

Anyway, a couple more quiz question ideas based on sitcom characters' names (no googling!)

The Likely Lads / WHTTLL

> What are Bob and Terry's full names - including *all* middle names?

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet - does this count as sitcomedy? (It's a comedy drama ...)

>What are the full names of ...

Oz?

Moxey?

Ed Reardon's Week

>What is Ping's real name?

>Can you name Ed's son and daughter?

Frasier

>Can you name the canine 'artistes' who played Martin Crane's best friend Eddie?

>For an extra point, under what circumstances had the two dogs met previously?

The lift voice that is heard in the opening credits of Are You Being Served is that of Stephanie Gathercole, who plays Rumbold's secretary in series 1 and 2

Quote: Text Lexus @ 4th June 2019, 1:34 AM

(no googling!)

Alas, I couldn't even make a cup of tea without googling the recipe. :(

Quote: Text Lexus @ 4th June 2019, 1:34 AM

> What are Bob and Terry's full names - including *all* middle names?

Bob's was Robert Andrew Scarborough Ferris, but I can't remember Terry's.

Quote: John M @ 4th June 2019, 8:38 PM

Scarborough? Fair enough.

See what I . . . no, on second thoughts, I won't proceed with that thought.

Terry's full name was Terence Daniel Collier and if anyone says I googled that, he/she is a bloody liar!

I got it from Bing.

Quote: John M @ 4th June 2019, 8:38 PM

Yep, I think the episode was 'Cold Feet'?

Quote: Rood Eye @ 4th June 2019, 9:27 PM

Scarborough? Fair enough.

See what I . . . no, on second thoughts, I won't proceed with that thought.

Terry's full name was Terence Daniel Collier and if anyone says I googled that, he/she is a bloody liar!

I got it from Bing.

Spot on! I must make the rules a little clearer next thyme - ho ho.

Quote: Text Lexus @ 4th June 2019, 9:32 PM

Yep, I think the episode was 'Cold Feet'?

Interesting because of course James Bolam appeared in Cold Feet.

Auf Wiedersehen pet Moxey's name is Arthur Albert Moxey is revealed when the British police officer catches him in Spain

During Hugh Laurie's audition for the part of Dr House, one of the executive producers leaned over to director Bryan Singer and said, "See, this is what I want - an American guy!"

Okay, "House" wasn't strictly speaking a sitcom but it certainly had plenty of funny moments and Hugh is one of Britain's favourite sitcom actors.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 5th June 2019, 8:20 PM

During Hugh Laurie's audition for the part of Dr House, one of the executive producers leaned over to director Bryan Singer and said, "See, this is what I want - an American guy!"

Okay, "House" wasn't strictly speaking a sitcom but it certainly had plenty of funny moments and Hugh is one of Britain's favourite sitcom actors.

Think of all the American fans of House and Hugh and have never even heard of Blackadder. I bet they would be shocked :D

Kanye West made an appearance in the final episode of the 2004 Johnny Vaughan sitcom Top Buzzer.

At first I thought this was someone on Wikipedia taking the piss but I got the DVD and can confirm he's in it. From what I can tell it's his only broadcast live action sitcom role, the closest being appearances in the animated American sitcom The Cleveland Show and the American comedy-drama Entourage, as well as his non-TX sitcom pilot for HBO.

Quote: jsg @ 10th June 2019, 12:12 AM

Kanye West made an appearance in the final episode of the 2004 Johnny Vaughan sitcom Top Buzzer.

At first I thought this was someone on Wikipedia taking the piss but I got the DVD and can confirm he's in it. From what I can tell it's his only broadcast live action sitcom role, the closest being appearances in the animated American sitcom The Cleveland Show and the American comedy-drama Entourage, as well as his non-TX sitcom pilot for HBO.

How the flip have I never heard of this. I've just been reading the description and as a gigantic fan of 'orrible this looks like something I have to check out. Maybe Kanye even checked out a bit of 'orrible before signing up :D