Filthy, Rich & Catflap Page 2

Quote: Rood Eye @ 1st June 2019, 12:22 PM

IIt's leagues ahead "The Young Ones"

Now that IS f**king hilarious. Even Rick and Benji were unconvinced.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 31st May 2019, 10:43 PM

If I worked in house clearance I would collect every Betamax tape I found as they would probably make you a few quid by publishing them on YouTube. Risky if it's something from the BBC but if it's unique footage it could have online value and the copyright is yours.

No, it's not! Any money you made from it would be liable to costly court proceedings against you.

Quote: Aaron @ 1st June 2019, 2:20 PM

No, it's not! Any money you made from it would be liable to costly court proceedings against you.

I was thinking of footage someone filmed with their own camcorder rather than uploading programmes taped from TV which would get you in hot water for sure but if it's footage of something you have filmed yourself then you should own the copyright. Possibly even if the filming was inside a TV studio and was prohibited. Or video of popular figures like unearthed footage of a drunk Brian Blessed trying to break dance at a fete in 1971 :D I could be wrong and the area of copyright is like a minefield but if it's something you have filmed yourself you should own all rights.

I filmed a day out at Seaworld, Florida and uploaded it to youtube nine years ago and someone commented that content from my video has been used in the documentary film, Blackfish (2013). They didn't mention which part and I've never bothered to check it. I have seen it and it's very good but I don't own the DVD. I would be surprised and slightly miffed if they did use footage from my video without asking.

Ah, fair enough. Yes, you'd own the copyright from anything filmed yourself. :)

This reminds me it is one of quite a few sitcoms I completely missed and would like to watch some time. Has it ever appeared on Gold, Yesterday, Drama or anything else? Also missed of that era Colin's Sandwich which some said was very good. Is it?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 2nd June 2019, 7:35 PM

Has it ever appeared on Gold, Yesterday, Drama or anything else?

I believe it was repeated (intact!) on Gold, soon after the channel's launch.

Surprised it hasn't got a late night slot on Gold or Dave or something, Bottom's there. Don't know if The Young Ones have got any repeats on Gold.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 2nd June 2019, 7:35 PM

This reminds me it is one of quite a few sitcoms I completely missed and would like to watch some time. Has it ever appeared on Gold, Yesterday, Drama or anything else? Also missed of that era Colin's Sandwich which some said was very good. Is it?

Yep

Mel Smith was great in that show

Quote: Wheel @ 2nd June 2019, 7:57 PM

Don't know if The Young Ones have got any repeats on Gold.

I believe repeats of "The Young Ones" have been edited so as not to offend snowflakes.

Mercifully, the edits are few compared with the number of chunks they cut out of "Filthy, Rich & Catflap".

Some of the songs are cut from repeats because of copyright but not sure which ones. I doubt Ace Of Spades could ever be cut because that would remove far too much material of them rushing to the train station.

There are some allegedly deleted scenes available on YouTube.

However:

In the following scene from episode 6, only the section from 2.15 to 3.14 has been deleted from the DVD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbTPh6M3N4g

In the following scene from episode 6, only the section from 0.59 to 2.14 has been deleted from the DVD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W4YT3CcoWU

They cut a lot of the songs from C**tflap, and often the racist pokiceman skit from 'Boring'. Shame.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 4th June 2019, 12:08 PM

the racist policeman skit from 'Boring'.

The racist policeman is alive and well and living on YouTube.

He appears at 31.27 in the following video:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x21rlm7

As far as I can remember, the writers of "The Young Ones" were not especially well-known for their Nazi sympathies and so I can only surmise that the inclusion of the racist cop in the cast was intended, in some way or other, to highlight racism in society and particularly racism in the police force and perhaps - who knows? - get viewers talking about it.

Similarly, a homophobic rant in "Filthy, Rich and Catflap" might - I say might - have been included with exactly the same intention.

If so, it's clear that the writers, being from a different time, didn't realise that the quickest and most efficient way to rid the world of social problems is to discourage discussion of those problems.

In the words of Alan Partridge, absobloodyexactly.

Is this the show that Mayall had his name removed from the writing credits? If it is, he was right too as it's quite poor. And time hasn't been kind to it.