The Lovers Page 3

I have never watched this. I would love to see this as I'm a big fan of Paula Wilcox and Richard Beckinsale. Is it any good to watch?

Yes, it is. Particularly if you're a fan of the two stars.

cool thanks Aaron

Have just seen the movie version. Quite enjoyed it, though it went on a tad too long I felt. Though for anyone who is a fan I would certainly recommend watching the film.

Can't wait for the DVD. However Paula Wilcox looks hotter in this than Man About The House.

What has been released on DVD, the series or film?

Quote: george roper @ June 4 2013, 11:12 PM BST

What has been released on DVD, the series or film?

Both!

https://www.comedy.co.uk/shop/?search=The+Lovers

Quote: David Smith @ June 4 2013, 10:32 PM BST

Can't wait for the DVD. However Paula Wilcox looks hotter in this than Man About The House.

Yes she sure is.

To say the cast list is amazing, the show isn't. I'm halfway through series 1 and it is really underwhelming so far, I find it really boring, dull and slow. The cast list is amazing, and I thought Richard Beckinsale and Paula Wilcox would make this superb, nope it isn't. I prefer Richard Beckinsale with a huge actor like Barker or Rossiter, I can't imagine him without either of them. There's something missing to this show. I'll keep watching to see if it gets any better

Must be 20 years since some channel repeated this and I have to say I was quite pleased with it. Thought it very watchable while not a classic, didn't catch every episode. Likeable actors obviously help, I can't think of many more likable supporting sitcom actors than these two. Nice theme, nice sitcom writing era, nice actors, what's not to like.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 2nd June 2019, 7:44 PM

Must be 20 years since some channel repeated this and I have to say I was quite pleased with it. Thought it very watchable while not a classic, didn't catch every episode. Likeable actors obviously help, I can't think of many more likable supporting sitcom actors than these two. Nice theme, nice sitcom writing era, nice actors, what's not to like.

The actors were great yes, no doubt about that. But there's something I don't like about it. I find it a bit dull and boring to my taste. It's a shame because I love the 2 main actors.

Quote: Wheel @ 2nd June 2019, 7:20 PM

I find it a bit dull and boring to my taste.

I watched this series when it was first broadcast in 1970/71 and my memory tells me it was wonderful stuff.

At the time, my impression was that the whole nation loved "The Lovers".

It was written by Jack Rosenthal who was, I think, one of the greatest playwrights and screenwriters the world has ever produced.

I do have a loose connection with Jack inasmuch that I once had a girlfriend who had previously been Jack's girlfriend: she complained to me several times that she might well have married him had he not been stolen from her by Maureen Lipman!

I think the main basis for the complaint was not so much the loss of Jack as the sheer cheek of the theft. Laughing out loud

Quote: Rood Eye @ 2nd June 2019, 8:00 PM

I watched this series when it was first broadcast in 1970/71 and my memory tells me it was wonderful stuff.

At the time, my impression was that the whole nation loved "The Lovers".

It was written by Jack Rosenthal who was, I think, one of the greatest playwrights and screenwriters the world has ever produced.

I do have a loose connection with Jack inasmuch that I once had a girlfriend who had previously been Jack's girlfriend: she complained to me several times that she might well have married him had he not been stolen from her by Maureen Lipman!

I think the main basis for the complaint was not so much the loss of Jack as the sheer cheek of the theft. Laughing out loud

Maybe because I wasn't around in the time it was original broadcast, I don't appreciate it as much as others do.