Taskmaster Page 7

Quote: Sixty3closure @ 6th May 2019, 2:18 AM

I also wonder if the format of the show could expose some comedians limitations i.e without a script and a plan are they still funny?

Is there any celeb/comedian "quiz" that isn't scripted these days to a certain extent? "Would I Lie To You" for example - NO ONE is that sharp or clever, and with some skits you can see the set up.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 6th May 2019, 7:06 AM

Is there any celeb/comedian "quiz" that isn't scripted these days to a certain extent?

No, and the extent to which they are scripted is in most cases very considerable indeed.

If you were to trawl through every comedy show in the history of TV and radio looking for genuine funny ad-libs, you wouldn't find many - simply because there haven't been many.

Although it may be staged to some extent I have enjoyed watching the different solutions some of the panel come up with. When I say 'scripted' I was more thinking about how creative (or not) some of guests are in the tasks. I suspect there may be some help and support off screen but it does feel that some comedians such as Jon Richardson were able to think much more 'out of the box' to coin a phrase.

Quote: Sixty3closure @ 6th May 2019, 1:12 PM

I suspect there may be some help and support off screen but it does feel that some comedians such as Jon Richardson were able to think much more 'out of the box' to coin a phrase.

Some comedians are so naturally talented that, in almost any TV/stage situation, it's just a matter of winding them up and letting them go.

Those comedians are, however, exceedingly rare.

Jon Richardson does, as you say, have the ability to think outside the box to a greater extent than most of his comedic colleagues - most of whom would, without a script, be about as funny as a stone gnome.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 19th February 2019, 3:03 PM

So, Taskmaster 8 announced and I'm sorry to say that it looks like they've reached the point where they have had to scrape the bottom of the barrel - Yes/No? Only know three people and only one of them is a comedian?

Can't see it being as funny as any of the previous series, but hope I am proved wrong......................we'll see.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 20th February 2019, 12:37 AM

Lou Sanders is a wonderful comic, as is Paul Sinha. Joe Thomas and Greg's dynamic should be interesting being they know each other. Sian Gibson is the Tarbuck/Knappet, a comic actress who always comes across as very likeable. Iain Stirling I have no idea.

Quote: jsg @ 12th April 2019, 8:40 PM

I watched the first episode today and enjoyed it a lot. As guests go it really wasn't much of an issue, I admit I was a bit worried about it but I don't think fans will be disappointed.

Oh dear, it was as I feared - not very good at all. No match for the excellent standard that has gone before. I hope it improves as it was one of my highlights of the week.

The bloke from The Inbetweeners looked as though he didn't want to be there - not impressed with him at all, and the other bloke (on the left - not Sinha) seemed to take it too serious.

Ah. Personally I felt there have been both better and worse series

Well I loved it. Joyous television. Alex as Lou's vent doll was a highlight as was Joe's suprisingly good hiding skills!

Has anybody been watching this? Not as strong as previous series, Iain Stirling is intensely and constantly insufferable especially in tonight's but aside from that it's been pretty good overall, Lou Sanders is my favourite

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 30th May 2019, 1:49 AM

Has anybody been watching this? Not as strong as previous series, Iain Stirling is intensely and constantly insufferable especially in tonight's

Er, yes. Hello........................

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 9th May 2019, 12:18 AM

Oh dear, it was as I feared - not very good at all. No match for the excellent standard that has gone before. I hope it improves as it was one of my highlights of the week.

The bloke from The Inbetweeners looked as though he didn't want to be there - not impressed with him at all, and the other bloke (on the left - not Sinha) seemed to take it too serious.

There's not the spark there as with previous "crews" where there were memorable moments such as Al Murray and the Morse code balloons, Lisa Tarbuck et al.

And I agree with you about Ian Stirling - he's beginning to get on my tits.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 30th May 2019, 6:17 AM

And I agree with you about Ian Stirling - he's beginning to get on my tits.

I'd probably replace Iain and Paul with people who are mainly known for stand-up or comedy acting, as opposed to being known for something else and doing stand-up on the side. You could include a few people outside that of course but if you were it would make more sense to have a more experienced TV presenter or some kind of personality. What they've gone for here is an awkward middle between having a lesser known comedian or someone people might recognise and watch because of it.

Obviously Dave won't have the same resources as the BBC but this mix is something Would I Lie To You? does well.

I've only ever watched (or attempted to watch) two episodes of "Taskmaster" and I wasn't impressed.

The panellists seemed ill at ease and the whole thing seemed embarrassingly contrived.

Clearly, it's entirely possible to push a handful of comedians into a room, point a camera at them and come up with an absolutely brilliant 30 minutes of comedy.

However, depending upon the comedians chosen, you can also come up with a pile of poo.

I think that's why the funniness of individual episodes has been so variable.

In this series two of them aren't working for me, but the other three are very funny and entertaining.
I love the show but it all depends on the casting.

The last episode was the highlight of the series so far, that shot of Paul in the phone box is classic, and nice to finally see Joe showing his personality (must say I still cannot stand Iain though!)

So, thoughts on the new line up? Jo Brand, Rose Matafeo, David Baddiel, Katy Wix and Ed Gamble. Great line up, Matafeo is one of my favourite live comics at the moment