Ghosts - Series 1 Page 16

The discussion was clearly primarily about race.
We are probably all guilty of mild racism sometimes.
I was probably wrong to describe people on here as racists even if they were showing signs of mild racism. Apologies!

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 25th May 2019, 11:08 PM

Can this thread be locked? Every time I check in case the latest post is on whether it's been recommissioned or something, we have about seven pages of discussion on race which, frankly if you're concentrating on the context of the casting and the race of the performer rather than the performance itself then I think the problem is with you rather than the show.

Seconded.

Quote: jsg @ 27th May 2019, 6:21 AM

Seconded.

Oi! I was the first one to protest.................................mutter, mutter......................oh, alright then, thirded. :(

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 25th May 2019, 11:08 PM

the casting and the race of the performer

I think you'll find that the casting and the race of performers is what the BBC's diversity initiative is very much about.

I notice there was no outcry when, in another thread, I praised the initiative's skilful implementation in "Years and Years".

Strange therefore that there should be an outcry when I criticised what I perceived as its heavy-handed implementation in "Ghosts".

There has been no racism, mild or otherwise, in this thread despite the determination of the Racistfinder Generals to discover it.

There is absolutely no reason to lock this thread.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 26th May 2019, 12:22 AM

Methinks maybe the two of you doth protest too much.

Agreed - you two (you know who you are) please give it a rest!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 26th May 2019, 12:22 AM

Methinks maybe the two of you doth protest too much.

Quote: gb901 @ 27th May 2019, 2:26 PM

Agreed - you two (you know who you are) please give it a rest!

The "two" to whom Herc referred are Chris Hallam and me: two people who were conducting what I believe to be one of the most intelligent and civilised discussions in the annals of BCG. I think Chris and I have come very close to a mutually acceptable accommodation and I think both he and I are quite happy to discontinue it.

If this thread is to become non-controversial, it would be a great help if people would cease now to repeat opinions and propositions that have already been expressed, usually more than once, earlier in the thread and to which counter-opinions and counter-propositions have already been made.

Quote: beaky @ 23rd May 2019, 10:09 AM

I finally got round to watching the first episode last night, and enjoyed it very much - I agree with Chris that the disgraced politician is a marvellous character, as was the peasant woman and the woman forever throwing herself out of the window. The final twist about the new owner of the hall being suddenly able to see the ghosts really opened it up, it'll be interesting to see how this develops.

Don't know where you're coming from: the hotel developer opted out of purchase when informed of the plague pit and she still couldn't see the ghosts!

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 26th May 2019, 10:22 AM

The discussion was clearly primarily about race.
We are probably all guilty of mild racism sometimes.

You're admitting to being a racist?

I would hope I am not racist. It's hard to be entirely free of prejudice, though. I'd be wary of anyone who claims to be entirely free of prejudice. It's something to aspire to.
Meanwhile ...
I'm surprised by anyone whose bothered to join this discussion only to say how bored they are with it. It's a perfectly legitimate and relevant debate. If you are not interested yourself, don't read it!

Quote: gb901 @ 27th May 2019, 2:43 PM

Don't know where you're coming from: the hotel developer opted out of purchase when informed of the plague pit and she still couldn't see the ghosts!

He said he'd just watched the first episode. He was referring to Alison.

I hope we're all done and dusted with the race discussion now. Any further posts on it in this thread will be removed. Thanks.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/5320/ghosts_series_2_bbc_one/

Sitcom Ghosts has been commissioned for a second series by BBC One

What a surprise!

Series 1 is the highest-rated UK TV comedy of 2019 to date.

I think I seriously need to consider whether there's any point in me continuing to pursue a career in comedy writing. I seem totally devoid of any idea as to what is required these days, though obviously my talent is unquestionable!Cool

Quote: garyd @ 28th May 2019, 12:58 AM

I think I seriously need to consider whether there's any point in me continuing to pursue a career in comedy writing.

I gave up years ago - got sick and tired of the double standards and/or plagiarism.

I think I seriously need to consider whether there's any point in me continuing to pursue a career in comedy writing. I seem totally devoid of any idea as to what is required these days

If you're not yet a successful comedy writer, don't write anything that's required these days: every would-be comedy writer in Britain will be writing exactly the same sort of thing.

However, if you can guess correctly what's going to be required next year and/or the year after, you're in with a chance.

The writers of "Ghosts" aren't newbies who struck lucky with their ghostly idea. For the most part, they'd been "in" with TV people who matter for a very long time.

The TV industry is the same as every other industry in the world: the powerful people in that industry tend to make sure all their friends are well fed before they'll toss a crust to a stranger.

Sitcom Ghosts has been commissioned for a second series by BBC One

What a surprise!

Series 1 is the highest-rated UK TV comedy of 2019 to date.

I think I seriously need to consider whether there's any point in me continuing to pursue a career in comedy writing. I seem totally devoid of any idea as to what is required these days, though obviously my talent is unquestionable!Cool

Christ, if true then the bar's not been set very high!