Well written characters?

I've just finished watching The Good Life (Good Neighbours here) and Ever Decreasing Circles, both for the first time. They are brilliant, but I expected that as a dedicated fan of Bob Larbey and John Esmonde's writing.

I'd go further, however, when it comes to two particular characters. I think Margo (The Good Life) and Martin (Ever Decreasing Circles) are amongst the most beautifully conceived and fully-realized characters I've seen. Layered, complicated, authentic and wonderfully consistent, they are an endless delight.

I wonder what characters others might suggest as their equal. I'd love to find other great sitcoms to watch.

Sharon

For me, Reginald Iolanthe Perrin is one of the best written characters ever.

Another wonderfully complex character in the middle of a full-blown mid-life crisis. Somehow he manages to never do anything that is completely out of character but equally never really does what you would expect him to do.

All thanks, I guess, to the superb writing of David Nobbs which makes Reggie Perrin a fascinating character in the books, as played by the awesome Leonard Rossiter and even in the pretty pointless but still well-written Martin Clunes version.

I agree totally with Reggie Perrin. I didn't get where I am today by disagreeing with Reggie Perrin.

"Somehow he manages to never do anything that is completely out of character but equally never really does what you would expect him to do."

Well said. Exactly what I meant - but didn't express so well -- about Martin and Margo.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ June 28 2011, 10:53 AM BST

I agree totally with Reggie Perrin. I didn't get where I am today by disagreeing with Reggie Perrin.

Great. Super.

Basil Fawlty ("Fawlty Towers") - Someone who is one of the greatest defenders of social mores who, because of the absurd extremes he goes to in adhering to them, renders himself socially unacceptable on a regular basis.

Edina Monsoon ("Absolutely Fabulous") - Someone who is profoundly torn between her inner and outer self, ambition and motivation. A hippy at heart, she wants to be a ruthless, cutting edge fashionista but often demonstrates that yher stomach for ruthlessness is limited. She also lacks the courage of her convictions at times.

Yes, I agree that Martin Bryce (EDC) is one of the greatest sitcom characters.

Others that come to mind are - yes - Basil Fawlty (Fawlty Towers). I think his character is genius. (Although the style of FT doesn't explore the depths of the character in the more gentle way that EDC does with Martin at times. But perhaps that we see as much of Basil as we do despite the farcical style of the show is part of the brilliance of the writing and Cleese's performance.)

I think Del and Rodney in OFAH are another two great sitcom characters. Combination of Sullivan's excellent writing, the quality of the actors and that the show ran for so long the characters could be explored thoroughly.

Victor Meldrew in One Foot In The Grave is pretty good too.

I think it's quite a hard question to answer because the role of character probably depends on the sytle of the show and sometimes on the run that that show gets. Also, is a good character always how 3-dimensional they are, or some other reason - like they've pinpointed something different but something we can easily relate to? Again, this seems to depend on the style of the show - of which of course there is no one right one. For example, George in George & Mildred is a great character. However, the style of the show is lighter and less sophisticated.

I saw 'Solo' again recently. I think that is a very good to excellent show. Felicity Kendal gives an excellent performance as Gemma - a 30 year old woman trying to find herself in the feminist age. Another excellent sitcom character I think - but not generally highly rated because the show was issues-based about 1970s-80s feminist issues, it has quite a melancholy feel and was short running. It makes you think even more than it makes you laugh - and this isn't everyone's cup of tea. Lane's Rita character in Butterflies was a very similar character - and another strong sitcom character - wonderfully performed by Wendy Craig.

I think there are a lot of good characters in Hi-De-Hi! too, they are reasonably 3-dimensional (considering the send-up, camp style of the show which meant the characters needed a balance of comic-like and real). And Perry and Croft keep this balance really well here in my view.

Speaking of Perry and Croft - I think Captain Mainwaring in Dad's Army is another great sitcom character.

Some of the characters Steve mentions are unknown to me but I have always enjoyed Dad's Army, mainly because of Captain Mainwaring. He, like Martin, really wants the best for everyone but is just a little too convinced he always knows what that is.

Someone recently mentioned to me that the characters in Early Doors are quite rich and interesting. It's another series not shown here although it's available through Amazon UK.

I always liked Bernard in YM/YPM in a very understated way.

Quote: Oldrocker @ July 3 2011, 1:11 AM BST

I always liked Bernard in YM/YPM in a very understated way.

I saw that ACTOR in Series 1 of 'Agony' which I watched recently. He played a cool radio host. No, it wasn't Agony, sorry. I think it was an episode of Robin's Nest. Hmmm. I'm confused now. It was something 70s or 80s. It's surprising the faces you recognise when you watch old sitcoms.

Quote: Rose2010 @ July 2 2011, 6:02 PM BST

Some of the characters Steve mentions are unknown to me but I have always enjoyed Dad's Army, mainly because of Captain Mainwaring. He, like Martin, really wants the best for everyone but is just a little too convinced he always knows what that is.

Someone recently mentioned to me that the characters in Early Doors are quite rich and interesting. It's another series not shown here although it's available through Amazon UK.

Ruth, you might like Executive Stress. That was another 80s sitcom also starring Penelope Keith. Not sure if it's out on DVD yet or not. It was very good and funny, I thought. It's about a book publshing company and focusses mainly on co-workers and husband and wife and their home and work relationships. I don't know if the characters have the strength you're interested in. But Keith's performance is always good and this was better than No Job For A Lady.

Brush Strokes is also very good. Have just finished watching all 6 series. Some good characters in that - though probably not as strong as some. They are certainly varied though. Which makes a nice contrast. Lionel is the funniest character, I think.

Quote: Steve Charlie @ July 14 2011, 4:03 AM BST

Ruth, you might like Executive Stress. That was another 80s sitcom also starring Penelope Keith. Not sure if it's out on DVD yet or not.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/shop/?search=Executive+Stress

Warren.

Kelly in Mum was great in the first two series.

Quote: Nogget @ 27th May 2019, 9:11 AM

Kelly in Mum was great in the first two series.

I wouldn't call being gormless and having a silly voice "well written".

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 27th May 2019, 9:25 AM

I wouldn't call being gormless and having a silly voice "well written".

Well, he only said.