Blackadder Page 6

Quote: Nil Putters @ September 1 2013, 10:25 PM BST

Just watching Black Adder The Third on BBC Two.

Does anyone know who voiced The Shadow? It sounded familiar.

Warren Clarke:

http://tinyurl.com/nbb6jnb

Interesting, I would never have guessed him. Thanks Gluben.

Quote: Nil Putters @ September 1 2013, 11:17 PM BST

Interesting, I would never have guessed him. Thanks Gluben.

Me neither. Sounded like Anthony Head.

I just watched it too, and I thought it really stood up well. Particularly notable was the high quality 'banter', reminding me (after seeing a lot of inferior stuff recently ) that it can actually be very funny.

Quote: T.W. @ 14th February 2011, 11:50 AM

Series 2 was both the most original and the funniest of the series, with every episode a minor masterclass.

I have to disagree with that quite strongly after watching it again recently. I thought it ran out of creative steam halfway through and the last two in particular looked very strained. There's a strong argument from industry bods for changing the order of episodes for broadcasting so it doesn't do what Blackadder II did and tail off in quality of scripts. Six classic eps this was not. Maybe three, just.

Elton's style of repeating patterns of material like little cyclical templates was excruciating by episode 6. When these little formulas are so often used it increasingly looks like padding if the funny lines aren't that different to the previous. Ep5 looked like he hastily drafted a script out of desperation to fill an episode. Yes it managed more funny bits than most sitcom eps but was so weak on story it dragged. Ep6 hardly picked it up despite a better story idea with a fine villain. Too much time was given to Nursey and Queenie presumably as padding and the ping pong of Eltonian insults on the other set were truly tedious by the end. These eps were only relieved by some funny visuals, most would credit Curtis for those.

I watched my Goes Forth DVD last night and if you held a rusted service revolver to my head I would have to choose that. Lots of funny moments in the other series but the last one hits a nerve. The final episode of Goes Forth made national headlines at the time because everyone was talking about the poppy field ending. After such resentment from Blackadder over the centuries I was glad to see an ending without the poison put downs from Edmund. In the trenches he had conceded he was in the same position as everyone else and I love how the writing of Goes Forth revolves around that and it gives the opportunity to Baldrick and George to have a lot more dialogue.

For me, the final episode of Goes Forth really whams you when George realises that he's going to die, that he doesn't want to, and that yes, he should have taken up Melchett's offer of "I can guarantee you a place in the car".

Quote: Natalie Salat @ 26th May 2019, 6:15 AM

Melchett's offer of "I can guarantee you a place in the car".

What a character he was and again PERFECT for Stephen who brought the bumbling bombastic WWI General to life!

Also love the outtakes when Hugh Laurie was making funny faces at him off camera. So funny. Laughing out loud

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 26th May 2019, 6:34 AM

What a character he was and again PERFECT for Stephen who brought the bumbling bombastic WWI General to life!

Also love the outtakes when Hugh Laurie was making funny faces at him off camera. So funny. Laughing out loud

Had never seen that before and just checked it out on youtube Laughing out loud

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 26th May 2019, 4:15 PM

Had never seen that before and just checked it out on youtube Laughing out loud

Yes! at 1.15 here for anyone else who hasn't seen it - hysterical!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQd7iciu_SY&list=RDyQd7iciu_SY&start_radio=1&t=4

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 26th May 2019, 4:21 PM

Yes! at 1.15 here for anyone else who hasn't seen it - hysterical!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQd7iciu_SY&list=RDyQd7iciu_SY&start_radio=1&t=4

Always loved those outtakes, Rik Mayall never disappoints, but that Stephen Fry one is gold, nobody else in the world could do that maniacal laugh quite as well.

I was watching the election night episode of Blackadder the Third some time back and I noticed the joke that when the "Standing at the Back, Dressed Stupidly and Looking Stupid Party" guy is explaining their policies, he DOESN'T qualify that "free corsets for the under-fives" means little girls. Heh Heh Heh.

By the way i know the actor playing this guy in Blackadder is actually "Ford Prefect" from HGTTG, but he looks and sounds a lot like Monty Python's Terry Jones.

Massively overrated. Overrated doesn't mean bad, just there's an abyss between reputation and reality.

The last series was the best IMO.

It was so overquoted. Not their fault of course, but that long Winter evenings line still pops up on FB. Ewwwwwwwwwww.

Fortunately for those who don't take to Blackadder as much as they are expected to, its not the eighties anymore and Rik Mayall is dead.