Ghosts - Series 1 Page 15

Quote: Chappers @ 25th May 2019, 5:11 PM

Anyway I'm looking forward to the next series to find out about the MP with no trousers.

The props dept. are ordering the fishnet stockings, a bottle of amil nirate and an orange as we type.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 25th May 2019, 7:37 PM

You're right.

I have absolutely no proof that the casting of "Ghosts" was influenced by the BBC's diversity and inclusion strategy. However, I don't think I've ever stated that I have such proof or that I know for certain that the casting was influenced in that way.

It is purely and simply my own personal opinion that such was the case.

Fair enough but it's because you don't use terms like "I think that...." or "I believe that...." etc that it can sound like what you write is intended to be fact. Earlier you posted:

"My point throughout has been that their ethnic mix was written into the show in order to tick boxes in the diversity quota rather than for any legitimate dramatic purpose."

You have confirmed this is not based on facts so what makes you believe this to be true? I don't know if you like or dislike Ghosts but what criteria do you use to determine when the old diversity and inclusion strategy is at play? A character that you don't think is funny and happens to be a black female?

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 25th May 2019, 8:04 PM

it's because you don't use terms like "I think that...." or "I believe that...." etc

If you look back through this thread you'll find the following examples of my using terms exactly like the ones you say I don't use:

Quote: Rood Eye @ 15th April 2019, 10:54 PM

I can't help thinking

Quote: Rood Eye @ 16th April 2019, 5:43 PM

I would have thought

Quote: Rood Eye @ 13th May 2019, 8:19 PM

I think

Quote: Rood Eye @ 13th May 2019, 9:52 PM

I suggest

Quote: Rood Eye @ 18th May 2019, 7:55 PM

I think

Quote: Rood Eye @ 18th May 2019, 7:55 PM

I suppose

Quote: Rood Eye @ 23rd May 2019, 12:30 PM

I think

Quote: Rood Eye @ 24th May 2019, 10:25 AM

I think

Quote: Rood Eye @ 24th May 2019, 11:46 AM

I think

Quote: Rood Eye @ 24th May 2019, 11:46 AM

I also think

Quote: Rood Eye @ 24th May 2019, 3:16 PM

a) I think

b)I don't think

c)I think

d)My own view is

e)I think

Quote: Rood Eye @ 25th May 2019, 11:30 AM

a)I've suggested that

b)I've suggested that

Quote: Rood Eye @ 25th May 2019, 4:03 PM

a)I don't think

b)I don't think

Quote: Rood Eye @ 25th May 2019, 5:20 PM

I think

I will, however, answer your question:

If I'm watching a BBC programme and I see a member of any of the groups for which the diversity initiative was designed, I say "Hooray! The BBC are implementing their diversity and inclusivity strategy."

If I'm watching a BBC programme and I see a member of any of the groups for which the diversity initiative designed and it seems to me that that person has been crowbarred into the program simply to boost the number of ticked boxes in the diversity initiative, I say "Well, I'm pleased to see the BBC are implementing their diversity and inclusivity strategy but I wish they'd do it a little less heavy-handedly."

I'm truly conflicted on how to respond. A link to the Go Outdoors website or a picture of Alf Garnett.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 25th May 2019, 8:55 PM

I'm truly conflicted on how to respond.

I think your best response would be to assure everyone on BCG that you're going to book an appointment at Specsavers first thing on Monday morning and, in the meantime, to refrain from making demonstrably false allegations based upon your failure to read correctly the postings upon which you base your judgements.

I really don't mind people on BCG suggesting that I'm a knobhead, a twat or even a complete and utter c**t but when it comes to "racist", "misogynist", "anti-Semite" or anything remotely similar, I really must insist that before making any such accusation, a person should read my post(s) correctly and make sure that they understand both the content and the tone in which it was written (which is, of course, the tone in which I assumed it would be read).

Over the years, on various forums, I've seen nuclear wars break out over completely innocent postings that were misunderstood.

I've been trying to respond but I can't because you keep editing your post. Let me know when you're finished with those final touches.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 25th May 2019, 9:17 PM

I've been trying to respond but I can't because you keep editing your post. Let me know when you're finished with those final touches.

I've finished touching it up now: respond away!

Quote: Rood Eye @ 25th May 2019, 9:22 PM

I've finished touching it up now: respond away!

Cheers Rood Eye and after my post on the other thread and 8 Mile I propose we continue this as a rap battle...

No offence intended with this mate :D I'm hoping you have seen the film 8 Mile.

Cue DJ to start a hip hop track....

ok, come on....come on....

What you say and how you sway means nothing to me

You talk like a bitch that lives in a f**kin Oak tree

Bring it with all this subjective shit

but choke like a pussy when asked about it

You spout about quotas and BBC rules but where are the facts when it comes to it? Fools.

Come back with facts instead of suggestion

Because right now I got problems with digestion.

[hands over mic to Rood Eye]

Can this thread be locked? Every time I check in case the latest post is on whether it's been recommissioned or something, we have about seven pages of discussion on race which, frankly if you're concentrating on the context of the casting and the race of the performer rather than the performance itself then I think the problem is with you rather than the show.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 25th May 2019, 9:56 PM

I propose we continue this as a rap battle...

Okay, here's the requested rap - dedicated to "Ghosts" and related topics.

Folk like you come talking shit 'bout Lolly Adefope,
accusing me of racism and stuff like misanthropy.
Okay, she black, she menstruate, but that don't f**king matter.
Just tell me why she get success served up on a silver platter!

Some guy tell me I don't like Jews but they my kind of people.
He say that bad thing one more time, I kick him off a steeple.
George Costanza, Jerry too, should be beatified
Elaine's also a brilliant Jew, but only on her father's side!

The problem with you snowflakes is you want to take offence
on behalf of other f**kers when no offence is meant.
So how about you take a breath and think 'bout what you reading
before you try to take me on, cos you won't be succeeding.

It seem some folks on BCG just got no sense of humour.
Where guys like me keep a big ol' brain, they got a 3 lb tumour!

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 25th May 2019, 11:08 PM

Can this thread be locked? Every time I check in case the latest post is on whether it's been recommissioned or something, we have about seven pages of discussion on race which, frankly if you're concentrating on the context of the casting and the race of the performer rather than the performance itself then I think the problem is with you rather than the show.

I understand your concerns, Sitcomfan, but if you read the thread carefully you'll find very little mention of race per se. The controversy is about the implementation of the BBC's diversity initiative - and that's a very different conversation indeed.

Having said that, I do understand that it must be galling for BCG members who don't want to get involved with such a discussion.

The good news for you is that I think everything that might usefully be said on the subject has already been said. I don't expect you'll suffer much more frustration from the sources you indicate.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 25th May 2019, 11:19 PM

Aren't you yourself guilty of being a snowflake? I mean you're getting your panties in a bunch over what you percieve to be heavy handed diversity policy at the BBC.

(Although if that's heavy handed, the PC brigade at the BBC really need a kick up the arse)

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 25th May 2019, 12:10 PM

God, this thread is becoming tiresome...............Sleepy

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 25th May 2019, 1:17 PM

Go elsewhere then!

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 25th May 2019, 11:08 PM

AMEN TO THAT!!

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 25th May 2019, 1:17 PM

Go elsewhere then!

YOU SEE! I am not alone , the subject was done and dusted long along, but you and Rood have turned it into a boring diatribe, but can't see it.

[u]

The good news for you is that I think everything that might usefully be said on the subject has already been said. I don't expect you'll suffer much more frustration from the sources you indicate.

Really?

Folk like you come talking shit 'bout Lolly Adefope,
accusing me of racism and stuff like misanthropy.
Okay, she black, she menstruate, but that don't f**king matter.
Just tell me why she get success served up on a silver platter!

Some guy tell me I don't like Jews but they my kind of people.
He say that bad thing one more time, I kick him off a steeple.
George Costanza, Jerry too, should be beatified
Elaine's also a brilliant Jew, but only on her father's side!

on behalf of other f**kers when no offence is meant.
So how about you take a breath and think 'bout what you reading
before you try to take me on, cos you won't be succeeding.

It seem some folks on BCG just got no sense of humour.
Where guys like me keep a big ol' brain, they got a 3 lb tumour!

Brilliant :D

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 26th May 2019, 12:04 AM

the subject was done and dusted long along, but (Chris Hallam) and Rood have turned it into a boring diatribe

I see your point very clearly, Herc, and I do sympathise - as I've already said to Sitcomfan.

In fairness to Chris and myself, and to everybody else involved so far in the more controversial aspects of "Ghosts", I really think non-controversial service is about to be resumed on this thread.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 26th May 2019, 12:05 AM

Brilliant :D

Thank you.

Yours wasn't bad either! Cool

Quote: Rood Eye @ 26th May 2019, 12:20 AM

I see your point very clearly, Herc, and I do sympathise - as I've already said to Sitcomfan.

In fairness to Chris and myself, and to everybody else involved so far in the more controversial aspects of "Ghosts", I really think non-controversial service is about to be resumed.

Methinks maybe the two of you doth protest too much.