BCG Only Connect Page 26

Can only think of beers now...or breweries. It's 'ard.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 21st May 2019, 12:20 PM

Actually, I think a googling ban would make these puzzles a hell of a lot easier to solve because, if googling is banned, it means that every puzzle should be solvable by a reasonably bright and knowledgeable person using only his/her own mental faculties.

The question is, how many puzzles so far submitted on this thread fall into that category?

One's pulling one's plonker, don't yer know.

Dusseldorf (with an umlaut) ?

Quote: A Horseradish @ 21st May 2019, 12:17 PM

Motorik. Can. Tangerine Dream. Amon Duul II. Trans-Europe. President of the AA. The Duchess of Kent at Wimbledon. Steffi Graf, Lemon Shandy. Tristram Shandy. Bottle. Germans.......which leads to........is the connection they are all pictures?

:S

Inspired by Horse's highly commendable scattergun approach to the problem, I think the connection might be "Wimbledon".

1. The ancient and legendary Wimbledon Brewery produces "craft/kraft" beers.

2. The Duke of Kent is very much associated with Wimbledon.

3. Steffi Graf is very much associated with Wimbledon.

4. See answer 1.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 21st May 2019, 12:37 PM

Inspired by Horse's highly commendable scattergun approach to the problem, I think the connection might be "Wimbledon".

1. The ancient and legendary Wimbledon Brewery produces "craft/kraft" beers.

2. The Duke of Kent is very much associated with Wimbledon.

3. Steffi Graf is very much associated with Wimbledon.

4. See answer 1.

Thank you.

The bottle SG provided really is according to the website a lemon shandy but they do do (craft) beers too.

The Duke of Kent has a lot of associations with cars as the past head of various motoring organisations including the AA. Kraftwerk were responsible for the motorik beat (unless it was Neu! - I don't know who got there first) and of course recorded "Autobahn".

Also, Kraftwerk and Graf Spee both have RAF in them.

The last one has the composer Bach in it.

Raf is almost the composer Raff.

A key member of Kraftwerk is Ralf Hütter.

The manager of Southampton football club is Ralph Hasenhüttl which is almost the same.

Hasenhüttl means rabbit hutch.

Thank you for writing to me and I do hope that my reply was helpful. Cool

Power plant ? I.e. the German translation of Kraftwerk. There's a nuclear one in Kent. Are we getting warmer ?

Quote: Firkin @ 21st May 2019, 2:06 PM

Power plant ? I.e. the German translation of Kraftwerk. There's a nuclear one in Kent. Are we getting warmer ?

Quote: Rood Eye @ 21st May 2019, 6:28 AM

Is it Dungeness?

Probably not. :(

Stopped and stared at Dungeness nuke station earlier today. Nothing comes to mind. Nope. There's a train that goes to and from it, taking nuke waste away. Very sinister sound as it trundles its cargo back and forth across the landscape. It's pretty at night. No it isn't really.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 21st May 2019, 1:00 PM

Thank you.

The bottle SG provided really is according to the website a lemon shandy but they do do (craft) beers too.

The Duke of Kent has a lot of associations with cars as the past head of various motoring organisations including the AA. Kraftwerk were responsible for the motorik beat (unless it was Neu! - I don't know who got there first) and of course recorded "Autobahn".

Also, Kraftwerk and Graf Spee both have RAF in them.

The last one has the composer Bach in it.

Raf is almost the composer Raff.

A key member of Kraftwerk is Ralf Hütter.

The manager of Southampton football club is Ralph Hasenhüttl which is almost the same.

Hasenhüttl means rabbit hutch.

Thank you for writing to me and I do hope that my reply was helpful. Cool

Sounds like Ted Rogers explaining the riddle on 3-2-1 :D

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 21st May 2019, 3:05 PM

Sounds like Ted Rogers explaining the riddle on 3-2-1 :D

But I know for a fact that Horse is land locked, so that speed boat is going to be no good for him.

The connection surely has to be Germany in some form or other.

1. Kraftwerk is a German band.

2. The Duke of Kent has been president of the War Graves Commission for almost 50 years.

3. The Graf Spee was a German cruiser sunk by the British in World War II.

4. Krombacher is a German brewery.

Having said that, there must be something more specific that I'm missing.

Yes, "2. The Duke of Kent has been president of the War Graves Commission for almost 50 years" is not German. :D

Germany is mainly a red herring. Only one clue is to do with Germany
That's how they do em on OC. They do like their red herrings.

Clue 1 answer is: German band.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st May 2019, 3:19 PM

"2. The Duke of Kent has been president of the War Graves Commission for almost 50 years" is not German. :D

I think it is quite German in its foundation: without wishing to re-open old wounds, I think it's fair to say that if it were not for Germany, those war graves wouldn't exist.

Little bit of politics there, ladies and gentlemen! Laughing out loud

I'm covering all bases - these are all the tennis stadia and tournaments in Germany. The Duke of Kent (or Duchess) has got to have been photographed swigging a lager from the bottle at one of these!! And the steel from the Graf Spee was used to build the seating in one of them, while the workers listened to Kraftwerk.(or ate Kraft cheese sandwiches)

Am Rothenbaum.................International German Open
Betty Barclay Cup
Bad Homburg Tennis Club...........The Homburg Cup (1894-1935)
Baden-Baden Lawn Tennis Club............... Baden Baden International (1896-1966)
Braunschweiger Tennis und Hockey Club............. Sparkassen Open (1994-present)
Rot-Weiss Tennis Club................. WTA German Open (1979-2008)
Festhalle Frankfurt....................... ATP Finals (1990-1995)
Gerry Weber Stadion....................Gerry Weber Open (1993-present)
Grugahalle....................... Eurocard Open (1995)
Hanover fairground...................... ATP Finals (1996-1999)
Hanns-Martin-Schleyer-Halle....................Eurocard Open (1996-2001)
Olympiahalle................... Grand Slam Cup
Porsche Arena.................Porsche Tennis Grand Prix (2006-present)
Uhlenhorst
Rochusclub.................Düsseldorf Grand Prix (1968, 1970, 1972-1977)
World Team Cup (1978-2012)
Tennisanlage TC Schierenberg............Black Forest Open (1999-2009)
Tennisclub Grün-Gold Wolfsburg............. Volkswagen Challenger (1993-2012)
Tennis Club Weissenhof ............................Mercedes Cup (1978-present)