Warren Page 8

Quote: gb901 @ 16th April 2019, 11:12 AM

I get the impression you'll watch anything?

:O Do you have a safe house to go to!?

I thought it was bloody funny - and I won't watch just anything.

Quote: gb901 @ 16th April 2019, 11:12 AM

I get the impression you'll watch anything?

Not quite. But it's part of the job. Some stuff I very much suffer through...

In case anyone is interested (unlikely) Warren has been cancelled. Thank goodness and good riddance. https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/5312/clunes_bbc_sitcom_warren_ends/

Won't miss it.

I'm not surprised it's been cancelled: if you're writing a sitcom, it's never a good idea to make your main character a seriously nasty bastard.

You can make them seriously disturbed, selfish as f**k, even homicidal - but if they are just plain unpleasant, viewers are never going to want to spend time with them.

The sad thing is that Warren was an okay guy for most of the time. He was grumpy and lazy but there's nothing wrong with that in a sitcom lead. He could also be very funny and that's a very valuable redeeming feature in a grumpy, lazy bastard. The series could very easily have succeeded, so what killed it?

What killed the series was Warren's tendency to lapse into pure nastiness.

Won't miss it, wasn't funny.
But Partridge got commissioned again despite lower viewing numbers and being packaged w/ Warren.
Some peoples' humor is more worthy than others I guess. Huh?

Shame it's been cancelled, I enjoyed it and have bought the DVD. However, I'm not surprised it hasn't been recommissioned as I don't think it really had got legs to carry on much further.

Bit of a shame .I quite liked the bumbling pace of it. Yeah warren was a bit nasty but there should be more sitcoms like this that reflect the blatant state of today's Britain that nearly everyone seems to hate their jobs. It was not groundbreaking or a massive hit with many but more true to life than a lot of what gets put on. If I the see the DVD below £10 in the future I would buy it. The Dave channel should pick it up, it's no worse than Sliced.

I enjoyed it too. Maybe it will be looked on like Fawlty Towers in the future.

Quote: Chappers @ 21st May 2019, 9:28 PM

I enjoyed it too. Maybe it will be looked on like Fawlty Towers in the future.

:O You started drinking again.

I like the BCG headline: "BBC decommissions...." It makes Warren sound like an aircraft carrier or nuclear submarine.

Quote: chipolata @ 22nd May 2019, 11:51 AM

I like the BCG headline: "BBC decommissions...." It makes Warren sound like an aircraft carrier or nuclear submarine.

Probably just as toxic?

Seems to be, judging by the posts here. Or are the Beeb desperate to use a new word for cancelling or axing yet another sitcom after just one series? Desperate to play down another commissioning failure. Who's passing these scripts off with no pilot? If they're getting an inhouse pilot as I believed all new shows were supposed to now, who's judging the pilots?

They're getting it wrong. I thought the point of Salford was to give pilots to every new potential commission and develop them to broadcasting standard before they screen. Ie. they should be more polished than ever when they hit the air, not rubbish. Since the new set up I think I'm right in saying we've seen more one series flops than before. And many of the shows that make it to Series 2 now don't exactly get rave reviews.

Cancelling or axing in the context of a TV programme often implies that there wasn't a good reason for the show ending, whereas in many cases there is. Perhaps a show ended conclusively, or maybe the channel just felt there were better investments of time and money. Warren had an overwhelmingly negative reception, and 2 or 3 million viewers at 9pm on BBC One isn't really good enough that they can look past it and commission more.