Things that piss you off Page 1,757

Officious counter staff (or jobsworths)

I watched an episode of Afterlife last night and in this episode, he (RG) took his nephew for tea at a cafe.
He wanted fishfingers and beans like his nephew from the childrens menu but they wouldn't serve him that because it was the children's menu.
I remembered a time when that happened to me.

I went out with a mate one night in Brighton and got all Stella'd up.
On the way back to the hotel we called in the KFC for some grub.

I asked the girl behind the counter for 2 pieces of breast and chips.
She said we don't do 2 breast and chips??

A bit pissed, I pointed at the lit up menu behind her and said there - 2 pieces and chips
One of those pieces must be leg! she said. It's a rule.
I'll pay extra
You can't pay extra, the till only accepts set meals.
I don't like leg meat. I can see lots of breast pieces in the glass warmer cabinet, who's going to know?
I can't do 2 breast and chips.
That was it - an impasse
After a pause she said, I can do 1 piece and chips that will include 1 piece of breast.
ah
I'll have 1 piece of breast and chips...... twice.

She packed up 2 boxes of 1 piece and chips, including the salt sachets and wet wipes and plastic forks and placed them on the counter.
I paid and then took a piece of breast from 1 box and put it in the other
See! 2 pieces of breast and chips.
Then something I am a little ashamed of.... I tipped the box of just chips all over the counter and walked out.

Regarding the children's meal situation, as highlighted in the Afterlife scene...I have always assumed it's because customers are expected to buy themselves an adult's meal to allow for the purchase of a children's meal at a lower price. BUT...what if you just went in for a cup of tea...and took your child with you...and bought them a children's meal? Firstly, the cafe woudn't get an adult priced meal out of you anyway...plus, lots of people pop into a cafe for a hot drink and a bun, or whatever. What if the kid went in by themselves and asked to buy a children's meal? It's always been a weird one. The strangest thing is...if it's listed on their menu...and you're going to give them the money they're asking for it...what is the problem! I could go into McDonalds today and ask for a Happy Meal...pay for it...eat it. I've never heard of anyone being removed from a McDonalds for tucking into a Happy Meal...and you could leave the shop, take it home and eat it there. I can feel myself getting a little too concerned with this today. I'll just stop...

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 10th May 2019, 11:22 AM

I asked the girl behind the counter

Depending which way you look at it, one of the (insert "good" or "bad") things about women is that they tend to respect rules and regulations far more than men do.

If you want someone to bend the rules, you've got a far better chance with a man than a woman.

I watched an episode of Afterlife last night and in this episode, he (RG) took his nephew for tea at a cafe.
He wanted fishfingers and beans like his nephew from the childrens menu but they wouldn't serve him that because it was the children's menu.

A bit pissed, I pointed at the lit up menu behind her and said there - 2 pieces and chips
I'll pay extra
I don't like leg meat. I can see lots of breast pieces in the glass warmer cabinet, who's going to know?
That was it - an impasse
After a pause she said, I can do 1 piece and chips that will include 1 piece of breast.
ah

She packed up 2 boxes of 1 piece and chips, including the salt sachets and wet wipes and plastic forks and placed them on the counter.
Then something I am a little ashamed of.... I tipped the box of just chips all over the counter and walked out.

That would be a good script, except......................

I'll have "spam, spam, spam, spam, egg & chips, without the spam"

I'll pay extra
That was it - an impasse
ah

I enjoyed this.

When you can't get onto the site - like last night when I was going to whinge about HIGNFY.

People who say "That's an hour of my life I won't get back" when they've seen some crap on the TV.

You won't get any of it back!!!!!!

That's a minute of my life I won't get back reading your post. :(

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 20th May 2019, 4:06 PM

That's a minute of my life I won't get back reading your post. :(

A minute? How slow do you read?

Quote: Chappers @ 20th May 2019, 4:09 PM

A minute? How slow do you read?

I linger and digest your words as if manna from heaven, and slowly drink in the ambrosia pearls that manifest themselves in the dross of forum life.

I hate it when Americans ruin our beautiful pronunciation: ADdress, deTAIL, adverTISEment... It's so FRUStrating.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 30th May 2019, 2:26 PM

I hate it when Americans ruin our beautiful pronunciation: ADdress, deTAIL, adverTISEment... It's so FRUStrating.

Along with f**king "heads up", "FYI", "batarn for baton" . Oh and people now in the UK who say "seasons" for SERIES even for British TV SERIES. Piss off over there if you want to talk like that you effin' dick-heads.

I hate everything being initialized.
It might be my dyslexia but I can't even guess what they mean.

F U then Ste

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 30th May 2019, 2:47 PM

Along with f**king "heads up", "FYI", "batarn for baton" . Oh and people now in the UK who say "seasons" for SERIES even for British TV SERIES. Piss off over there if you want to talk like that you effin' dick-heads.

And Mini-series. It's a f**king serial.